Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Has Anyone Tried Out Caliper Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:20 PM

Has Anyone Tried Out Caliper Covers?

I am looking to paint my calipers, but found this product while looking for paint products. Has anyone used these caliper covers and if so, was the result good, bad or mediocre?

http://www.calipercovers.com/_e/dept...HHR_Malibu.htm
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

They look like "Heat traps" imo.. & for $110. - $200. I'll just paint mine..& save the money..
Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 AM

They will lessen the clearance between caliper and inside of the wheel, some setups may not like that. I'd go with paint.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
They look like "Heat traps" imo.. & for $110. - $200. I'll just paint mine..& save the money..
I appreciate all of the valid opinions.

No pros or cons about heat. I was looking more at fit and finish as well as quality and mounting.

Re heat dissapation, the tests show that due to the heat sinking nature of these things, caliper surface temp is reduced by 30F to 50F. Looks like they used an infrared thermometer on the street, not CFD in a lab (there's a video on the website showing the test). Sounds feasible, but I'm not 100% convinced.

I was looking to see if someone had first hand experience to see what they think.

I'll probably end up going with a good quality caliper paint, but just wanted to check all options before I went forward with it.

Some time ago, I saw someone on the site who found some high heat caliper decals that had the "Chevrolet" logo, then the bowtie in outline form next to it. Anyone know where to get these?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:31 AM

if i remember the decals were from ebay. I could be wrong though.

For paint I recommend G2. I have posted on it a few times before, I have used it, and also gotten some friends to use it as well. Worth the extra money for it.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Yes they are being sold on ebay, I think I have the seller saved.. I'll post up once I check..

edit: nope not saved, but you may find what you want here. http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...5.l1513&_pgn=1
Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM

I used the G2 paint in yellow and then got some high heat decals off of ebay. I dont have the seller saved but just search for caliper stickers on ebay.

The g2 paint is really nice and worth the price IMO, but my last oil change a the dealership I had them rotate the tires. Well I noticed that the rear calipers are each chipped on a corner. I am pretty sure it is from the rotation, but can't say 100%, but I am thinking it is something w/ how they had to remove them (??). Not sure how I am gonna touch it up as I don't wanna buy another whole kit just to do a little touch up
Old 05-18-2010, 10:01 PM

stll not worth the price............
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
I used the G2 paint in yellow and then got some high heat decals off of ebay. I dont have the seller saved but just search for caliper stickers on ebay.

The g2 paint is really nice and worth the price IMO, but my last oil change a the dealership I had them rotate the tires. Well I noticed that the rear calipers are each chipped on a corner. I am pretty sure it is from the rotation, but can't say 100%, but I am thinking it is something w/ how they had to remove them (??). Not sure how I am gonna touch it up as I don't wanna buy another whole kit just to do a little touch up
Just ordered both the brush on catalyst paint system and the "Chevrolet" caliper decals. Red paint/white decals. Hope they hold up. But if not, $40 is still much more attractive than shelling out $200 for the caliper covers. The covers are nice, but not that nice (IMO).

The caliper sticker source is here now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...Q5fAccessories

If I had to touch the calipers up, maybe I'd look for a similar color in spray, but spray a small amount into a cap, then touch up the chip (so as long as it's not too large). VHT is only about $6-$7.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 09_SS

The catalized paint will chip because it is hardened.. Too hard.

I use Eastwood's new Ceramic Engine Paint, good to 650* (same as g2 temp rating).
No additives required, so you can save the extra for years..
I got a quart for less than g2 paint kit.
http://www.eastwood.com/specialty-co...hev-ornge.html

Quick Reply: Has Anyone Tried Out Caliper Covers?