Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Headrest removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM

Headrest removal?

I have a problem with headrests in general and the HHR is no different. I just don't like them sticking up in the air and blocking my view out the back window. I would guess-timate that the rear headrests take up more than 10 percent of the view out the back window. For a vehicle that already has limited window size it adds up. I took them off and it looked better and felt roomier inside.

My only concern with leaving them off is, if the airbag should deploy in an accident will my head be launched through the rear window? This is something you need to know ahead of time. The rear ones don't really matter IMO. The only drawback for not having them is where to put all of the TV monitors that usually go in the headrests? (I watch too much Unique Whips)
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM

When I have no one in the back seat I remove the back seat ones.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM

If you're having trouble with blind spots, I suggest you use what I use on my Camaro, which is notorious for not being able to see out the back.

I use a smaller one on the driver's side (2"), and little bit bigger one on the passenger side (3") side-view mirrors. They really help let you know if someone is riding in your blind spot.
Mount them on the lower and outer edges of the mirror, so you can leave the rest of the open mirror to see further behind you. The round ones take a little getting-used-to, as the cars appear so small in them. But that doesn't matter, if a car appears in them, then that's all that matters. You better wait for the lane to clear before changing.

I would watch out for liability issues if someone is riding back there and the headrests were removed. You could be held responsible for their whiplash if you got rearended. And yes, the airbag might launch your head backward in the event they deployed and you had no headrest. You not only need them, but they need to be adjusted properly too (level with the back of your head, not low at neck level).
jmho
Old 11-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

If you remove them you or your passengers are like 1000% times more likely to get whiplash or a broken neck in the event of a rear end collision. That's why they made them mandatory by federal law on vehicles back in the '60s.