Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

I started my vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 08:13 PM

From the Front, and this was before the stubby antenna from socal.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Vinyl? Paint? I have the same antenna.
It looks like vinyl to me but the nose throws me for a loop.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 AM

They are Vinyl had them put on a week after I got the HHR. The RR door and rear quarter was repaired this week due to a deer tring to get in my back seat. So I will have the rest of what was not used.
I bought a stubby antenna from socal 3 weeks ago and installed it.
The pics are the first part of Nov.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cj krause
any tips on putting on vinyl
i bought some racing stripes for my daughters cobalt and some smoke chaf for the sides... the hood and roof stripes look huge and hard to do,,, the trunk was real hard and i messed up one bad

thought about letting someone that knows what they are doing do it for me
Clean the area you are putting the vinyl on really good with denatured alcohol to strip the wax. Spay the entire area down with either vinyl application fluid or water with a drop of dish soap in it. Peel the backing off of the sticky side of the vinyl, as you pull it off keep wetting the decal. Leave the vinyl stuck to the application tape and put it in the area you're applying it to. Measure and line it up properly. Spray down the application tape. Take your card and work all of the fluid and air out of the decal, usually starting from the middle. Give it about a half hour or so to dry and then peel off the application tape. Respray the decal with fluid and work out any liquid and air that may be traped. It's very important to keep it wet durring this part if you are working on paint unless you want little scratches in the paint job. Let it dry. That's basic vinyl installation. If you end up with little fluid or air bubbles after the install you can pop them with a small pin. I personaly have never had to use a pin because I have never had that problem. The only other lessons to teach are cutting and forming but it sound like you bought a precut vehicle specific kit. I bought a non vehicle specific kit and cut and trimed it to fit. The flames were a pain in the a** to get seated in the door buldge properly. I ender up having to heat form them. I should have done a how to but I was in such a hurry to put them on while it was nice out. Maybe I'll do a small how to when I get my new windshield banner which I am ordering today. Maybe by next week I'll have a basic how to with pictures in the how to section. :)

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-26-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
The RR door and rear quarter was repaired this week due to a deer tring to get in my back seat.
Dating kinda rough there in Wisconsin isn't it? :-) (And no, I'm not married to my cousin, we just sleep together...)

jerij
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Banned

Lol!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
CH - your skull graphics would look cool in the little window panels in the rear doors! Know what I mean?
That's what I was refering to. Pretty soon, though, it's going to get too cluttered. Clear off what's on the rear side windows now and just put the little skulls on that vent window. You put too much crap on there and the neighbors near your place of employment are going to want to aquire your sweet ride!
Old 01-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
You put too much crap on there and the neighbors near your place of employment are going to want to aquire your sweet ride!
That's one of the things I worry about! One of my empoyees had his Alpine head unit and his backpack stolen out of his car like two weeks ago. I wish Chevy would have incorporated a glass sensor into the alarm system. Who actually breaks in through the doors? All I do is set it off on myself. I like the Audiobahn logos. Thats where I plan on putting all of my product decals.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:49 AM

Tom- That looks great. The front end is a real eye catcher.

Last edited by Riggs; 01-26-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Riggs
The front end is really an eye catcher.
No offence meant but I think it makes your HHR look like it has nostrils. That's the first thing that pops into my head when I look at it.

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-26-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: I started my vinyl