Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Jacked Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by j.allen1985
I would just like someone to give me a logical and simi simple way to accomplish this.
There is none. Everthing would have to custom made to have anything remotely driveable. The rear probably wouldn't be too bad, but the front is another story all together. You would need every part to be custom made.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

There is no logical or simple way. The HHR is an economy car. It's not a truck. You just have the wrong vehicle for what you want to do.

Driving off city curbs? You need a truck or large SUV.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:06 AM

That's why your original contacts said it can't be done simply, at a low cost and be a daily driver ... This thread is starting to give me a headache ...
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM

The HHR is the station wagon version of the Chevy Cobalt.
Would you buy a Cobalt to go offroading or pull horses?
Old 12-14-2012, 12:26 PM

The sturts design will NOT allow a tire bigger then 26"...Period. Unless you do major mods.besides..the real point is you cannot tow anything over 1000lbs because there is no real frame under there,,more major mods..you could buy some toy rocking horses and hang them on a bumper bicycle rack...thats about your limit...find a beater truck and only use it when necessary.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 AM

Like the old saying goes....."You can't get there from here".
Trust all that has been written here, they know of what they speak.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 PM

Well my plan is to talk to GM and see about sponsorship. Because how awesome would it be for such an economical car/crossover was still economical and could have the ability to be a family car, grocery getter and still have the versatility of farm truck. Not like heavy duty but just more almost like a blazer. To the imagination this car to me has a lot of potential and ability. My mom works at Frontier Chevrolet and when I bought this car from a side street car sales lot, I took it there to get the oil changed and have them look over it real well to make sure there wasn't any undercover problems. One of the head mechanics told me that the HHR was one of the best vehicles that Chevy has ever made. One of the only reasons they stopped production of them is because the maintenance was to difficult for most people. So if that's true, why not bring it back in style a strength and tweek the power and towability of it and reproduce it.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM

The Trail Blazer and sisters, the Equinox and it's sisters, The Arcadia and it's sisters would all be better suited for what you are wanting to do.

As for a sponsership??? Well maybe they would do something (I am doubting it for this venture) but I would imagine that they would want the rights to borrow the car for shows and events and picture sessions pretty much when ever they want to.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Well my plan is to talk to GM and see about sponsorship. Because how awesome would it be for such an economical car/crossover was still economical and could have the ability to be a family car, grocery getter and still have the versatility of farm truck. Not like heavy duty but just more almost like a blazer. To the imagination this car to me has a lot of potential and ability. My mom works at Frontier Chevrolet and when I bought this car from a side street car sales lot, I took it there to get the oil changed and have them look over it real well to make sure there wasn't any undercover problems. One of the head mechanics told me that the HHR was one of the best vehicles that Chevy has ever made. One of the only reasons they stopped production of them is because the maintenance was to difficult for most people. So if that's true, why not bring it back in style a strength and tweek the power and towability of it and reproduce it.
I seriously doubt that GM would back this. Why? Because as you said, they don't make the HHR anymore. GM is only going to sponsor something that has marketability.The HHR is done and GM has no plans to bring it back so why would they sponsor a car they don't make anymore.
The reason GM quit making them is because it had run it's course and they were phasing out that platform. That head mechanic was just giving you an opinion(one I do not agree with)One of the best Chevy's ever made? Nope. Look up any of the lists of best Chevrolets ever made. The HHR isn't on top.
If you are serious about this, you should look for an off road type company to help you out. But be prepared. They will probably laugh at your idea.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:14 PM

Ok so maybe I'm not quite sure of what I am taking about when it comes to lifts or drops. Ok.!.! I will retract all my recent statements and say this. What would be the easiest way to raise it a total of 3-4" including tires lift and not have to really customize any engine mount replacement or repositioning. I just want to raise it enough that, say I went off a city curb straight on at a slow reasonable speed and not bounce and bottom out like my wife did last night, wasn't real bad but it was a solid thump. And I would like be able to go through, not deep deep ruts but decent craters in the pasture. I would just like someone to give me a logical and simi simple way to accomplish this. And by he way I still owe $4,000 on it
Get a "designated driver" for the wife? Curb feelers out front?

What part of "won't work" is missing? IT IS NOT A TRUCK! Even though GM tries to put it in that CAFE category to lower their fleet MPG.:d ancingapple:

Quick Reply: Jacked Up