Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

License Plate Cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Banned

They had both the bolts and the plates with light up eyes but I have been reading up on NY laws about interior and exterior lighting a lot lately and have found out they are illegal. You have to read our state laws concerning lighting and you'll find it's just a bunch of loop holes making pretty much all exterior lighting that didn't come from the factory illegal on civilian vehicles. I will kind of be pushing the law with the running board lights I chose and I have illegal tint so I didn't need to add the illegal red light up eyes. Pretty much everything like that is illegal in NY, such as firefly valve stem covers and LED windshield washer nozels. Hell my state is trying to make spinners illegal right now. They also tightened down on our insections a couple of years back. NY wants everyone to be riding around in 100% properly working stock vehicles.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
i saw one of these on a chevy pickup and it looked good.
same size as the one on the front and back.

I like the blue bow tie
Old 03-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by TXLeXTC
Not a big fan of frames (and they are illegal here anyhow) but they all look good.
I like frames as long as they add to whatever theme your going for. Frames are illegal in Florida if they cover the word Florida or My Florida.com on the top of the plate. They added this new law this past year because Florida has so many specialty plates cops have a hard time telling if it's a Florida plate. Look it up on the internet, I'll bet we have more specialty plates than any other state, just my guess. I'm sure we'll be coming out with a booger flicker's and tobacco spitters plate soon...LOL
Old 03-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

Mine fits my new theme.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:39 PM

ALL red lights are legal on the rear of a vehicle. They should not be able to ticket you as it is a Federal (50 State), law.

But I know...if they can, they will!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:36 AM

I am liking them all, i got a Jeff Gordon plate despite what everyones going to say about him, he dose race for chevy remember!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by dan-d
I like frames as long as they add to whatever theme your going for. Frames are illegal in Florida if they cover the word Florida or My Florida.com on the top of the plate. They added this new law this past year because Florida has so many specialty plates cops have a hard time telling if it's a Florida plate. Look it up on the internet, I'll bet we have more specialty plates than any other state, just my guess. I'm sure we'll be coming out with a booger flicker's and tobacco spitters plate soon...LOL
Similar here. Basically anything other than THIN rim frames are out. If it covers anything here you can get a ticket. There have been numerous news stories about people completley unaware getting tickets for frames that a dealer puts on to advertise, or the ones a lot of stereo shops put on without asking you. People who arent enthusiasts like us dont notice the frames, and then get nailed for them.

I shy away from ANY lighting changes. I had neon (10 years ago) in CO, with no issues, but just a few years ago i had teh red nozzle washers on a red car and got nailed by the highway patrol. I cut the wires in front of the cop, and he let me off, but after that I dont mess with it. Im even nervous about my replacement HID lights on my lexus because I got 8000k bulbs (they were cheaper and HID bulbs ARENT cheap) and they are so blue Im afraid to drive the car at night, so we always take the HHR.