Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Locking Gas Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:05 AM

Locking Gas Cap?

I find that I must ask this question as I woke this morning to find the gas door open on my new HHR... and about 1/4 tank of gas missing..

So does anybody know of a source of a locking gas cap that will work with the pressurized fuel system of the HHR?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Have not found one that will allow the door to close correctly. See some discussion here

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/locking-fuel-cap-2752/

Tried Stant, Gates, GM stock and a generic Wal Mart brand..all too high and got in the way of the door closing.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 AM

There is a thread HERE that has some discussion on locking gas caps and what people have found so far.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:26 AM
Deceased

In texas with the inspection stickers due every year and the emissions test, you almost have to keep the original cap and put it on when you go get inspected. it is hard to find a locking gas cap that passes the emissions vacuum gas cap test.

most people dont know you just push on the door to get it open so they think it is locked from the outside anyway.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the other thread.. but from what I quickly read and the links I found were in short.. None really for the HHR and its gas door ..while others will work the gas door might not work correctly.

Wonder how much it would cost to 'MOD' to a lock into the door...
Old 07-16-2006, 04:22 PM

I just went out and looked and thought of an idea. Might be pretty feasible and relatively inexpensive.

Take a lock like the one below and cut a whole in the gas door. Then cut an opening into the plastic area for the latch to go into. I used to change locks on our community mailboxes in the apt complex where I worked and they are pretty easy to work with. Comments anyone?

Picture from Ace Hardware and cost of lock is $8.49.

Old 07-16-2006, 04:27 PM

I remember the first time I had to get gas. I looked all over the inside of the vehicle trying to find a button or handle or anything to open the gas door. I finally went back there and gave it a push. I am going to hope that most people around here will think it is opened from the inside, as mentioned above.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:12 PM

I know what you mean Songman. I looked for that and a lever to open the back hatch and was surprised it had neither one. Even my 84 Honda Prelude has that.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Deceased

the manual says it has one.
there is none there.
it is supposed to be in a false panel on the back door. the false paned or small socket is there, the latch is not.

i looked when i read about it. our Nox and the Cobalt has it, they forgot to put it in for some odd reason.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
I just went out and looked and thought of an idea. Might be pretty feasible and relatively inexpensive.

Take a lock like the one below and cut a whole in the gas door.
Picture from Ace Hardware and cost of lock is $8.49.
Question is: How long is the locks barrel and would it hit the gas cap.

I know that you can order a replacement 'chrome' door [maybe it is just a cover for the current door, did not think it would look good on my red HHR so did not look too hard] but if a color matching door replacement with lock could be ordered.....

Also there must be something wrong with mine as it just pulls open.... no push to open...

--David

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap?