Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 07:41 PM

paint problem

I have 2300 iles on my orange 2lt hhr and after washing it last weekend I noticed that the clearcoat on the rear door bumpouts and guards was pitting. I assume it is coming from the frt tires as I drive . The car is driven only on city streets and highway to and from work (approx40 miles) has anybody else seen this problem? The chevy dealer I bought it from readily agreed to paint it however probablly not every 2300 miles. just wondering if anybody else has seen this
Tim
Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM

No problems here. I hope none to come.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:47 PM

Sounds like a common problem...

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=817
Old 04-27-2006, 07:48 PM

OH, and welcome to the site!
Old 04-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Thanks , Been readin' behind the scenes for several weeks and love some of the discussions just took awhile to have a reason to post. I have been driving My 2001 gmc safari van for the last three days. It's great to haul the boat but I miss my little hot rod
Old 04-28-2006, 12:50 PM

Look at some of the older threads on this site and you will see that chipping is a common problem for HHRs without running boards. There is an issue regarding dealers charging several hundred dollars more to install them than they would have cost as an option at the time of purchase. GM is slow in addressing he issue. You will also see that there are varying levels of success in getting help from gm/local dealers. GM in Canada seems to be more willing to remedy the problem that its' stateside counterpart.

Last edited by GeeMac; 05-12-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:20 PM

Hi .I'm new to this forum also and have been reading the other threads about the paint problem..I am so glad I found this site !After reading through the posts ,I decided to take my HHR in to my dealer and see what they would do to fix this problem..I went in armed with photos of mine and others that I found here,My salesman took one look and said yes there is a problem and took me right in to see the body shop manager.The body shop manager said he had just last week installed running boards on a orange HHR with same exact problem and Gm has told them the only to fix this problem is to put running boards on.He stated that Gm will pay for 1/2 of the cost of boards and all the labor.plus to repaint damaged area.Afterward my salesman and i were discussing this..and he agrees that Gm should pay the full charge..So I will wait until body shop guy calls me back with price and let him know that I am not willing to pay anything as this is a Gm created problem.
In the meantime I had emailed Gm and they called me the very next day,and I told them the problem and it is something they have heard much about..They will be contacting my dealer and getting back to me..So I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will work out..
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyRod
Hi .I'm new to this forum also and have been reading the other threads about the paint problem..I am so glad I found this site !After reading through the posts ,I decided to take my HHR in to my dealer and see what they would do to fix this problem..I went in armed with photos of mine and others that I found here,My salesman took one look and said yes there is a problem and took me right in to see the body shop manager.The body shop manager said he had just last week installed running boards on a orange HHR with same exact problem and Gm has told them the only to fix this problem is to put running boards on.He stated that Gm will pay for 1/2 of the cost of boards and all the labor.plus to repaint damaged area.Afterward my salesman and i were discussing this..and he agrees that Gm should pay the full charge..So I will wait until body shop guy calls me back with price and let him know that I am not willing to pay anything as this is a Gm created problem.
In the meantime I had emailed Gm and they called me the very next day,and I told them the problem and it is something they have heard much about..They will be contacting my dealer and getting back to me..So I am keeping my fingers crossed that all will work out..

Can you please state the name of the Dealership in case any of us want to reference it when we go in to ask for assistance on this problem?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM

Hi..I will gladly post my dealerships name as soon as I hear back from them which should be tomorrow..I don;t want to jinx anything yet.and I want to find out exactly what I will have to pay for...I live in eastern canada..I will get back to everyone tomorrow for more news and names
Old 05-01-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyRod
Hi..I will gladly post my dealerships name as soon as I hear back from them which should be tomorrow..I don;t want to jinx anything yet.and I want to find out exactly what I will have to pay for...I live in eastern canada..I will get back to everyone tomorrow for more news and names

Oh Canada - I can just hear the dealer now "That's only GM in Canada - not US, forget it."

Quick Reply: paint problem