Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Founding Member

I'm hoping for a class action casein this running board issue. I would think once the running boards become standard eqipemt, I would be entitled to a refund of the price I paid for them as an 'oprional' equipment selection.

They can pay you now or pay you later, I hope they repair your HHR soon, the longer without running boards, the more their gonna have to fix later.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 PM

Well I finally heard back from my dealership..Gm is willing to repaint and install running boards ..(they want me to pay half for those 350...no labor charges and a rental car for 2 days...Taking it in on Wednesday.I am going to ask to speak with the district service manager and see if there is anything more they will do..My dealership has been great I have to say..and agree that we shouldn;t have to pay for Gms mistake
Old 05-05-2006, 06:53 AM

Hey GypsyRod. GM in most cases is taking it on a case by case problem now. I just had mine done and they did a parts and labor split. I ended up paying 170.00 for the install and nothing else. They repainted the "bad" areas and then installed the boards. Dont settle there see what they can do for you matter of fact tell them the only way you will be happy is if they do the same for you. Hey some guys got it done for NOTHING. VERY rare case lol but done settle save as much $$$$ as you can on this PROBLEM.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:18 AM

I'm getting the repairs done this monday, I'm only paying for the boards, no labor costs, so for me its a fair deal, $450, which is what I would have paid if I got them put on when I bought the HHR...IMO if you can do better than that then good for you...but settle for nothing less...IMO
Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 PM

well GM, the area Rep and the Dealer have lied to me on the whole deal, 1st of they tried to charge me more than the agreed price for the RB (which I have in writing) but they HAVE charged me for the labor (for putting the RB on, not for the repair and repaint which took 3 day more then I was told, and I didn't even ask for a loner car) which I was told 3 times was not to be charged to me "." to say I'm pissed is milded, I've already called GM to b!tch and to add to it, its been raining here fo rthe past 4 days in the n.east so I'm not 100% sure they matched the color when I picked it up, and the wet weather is why I was told was why it took 3 days longer then it should have....and looking at the weather I won't have a real good day to look at it until next friday, unless I find a place to bring it into (I don't have a garage)....right now it does not look like it matches IMO...

yeah I'm pissed
Old 05-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Yo Four...what dealer did you use? Mine is in the shop right now and they are doing the quarters at GM's expense. We really haven't talked about running boards, but my HHR has been in since May 1 because my door needs repair (and you can't get a door shell in a hurry). This may be a bit of ammunition as I probably won't see my car again until around the 24th.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MikeX
Oh Canada - I can just hear the dealer now "That's only GM in Canada - not US, forget it."

This is EXACTLY what the GM (US) help line told me when I cited examples of Canadian owners getting boards at no cost while GM (US) wouldn't even acknowledge that the problem existed. My only support - with respect to the running boards - came from the local dealer where I purchased my HHR.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM

OK a quick follow up on the repainting, the clear coat has hazed over and turned white ! went the Chevy dealer to show them this morning but they were closed , this was at 930am today ! well I went to the body shop (which is at the GMC dealer up the street) the body shop was closed too but one of the guys that works in the body shop was in the service area and took a look and he too was pissed, he feared this would happen...told me the Chevy dealer wanted the car back friday because the owner (thats me) was getting upset because it was taking so long....the body shop guy knows me (I've been going to this GMC dealer for many years, I've owned 3 GMC Trucks over the past 9 years) and knew I would not have rushed the job...I knew the cold rainy weather was causing the slow turn around and I had no problem with the body shop getting it right...the only thing I told the Chevy dealer was if it was not ready on Friday I would need a loner for the weekend.

the guy at the GMC dealer told me to just bring the HHR monday and he would see if rebaking it would clear it up if not then they would repaint it again....

I ask the service manager if they could do the big type service work on my HHR, as I will never go to the Chevy dealer again...he said he would be very pleased to have my business (he was bummed when I went to the HHR from my GMC truck)
Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by GeeMac
This is EXACTLY what the GM (US) help line told me when I cited examples of Canadian owners getting boards at no cost while GM (US) wouldn't even acknowledge that the problem existed. My only support - with respect to the running boards - came from the local dealer where I purchased my HHR.
I'm from Canada and I had to fight with GM of Canada to get my running boards. Only have to pay 200 bucks. I'm happy with that, but like Sindy said if it becomes standered I think we all should be getting our money back.
I also heard that the H3 Hummers are having this same problem, but not as bad.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM

just got back from the re-baking...the HHR not me, altho after all that it wouldn't hurt !

seems to have cleared up the clear coat hazing

Quick Reply: paint problem