Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by four61ob
I'm sorry but I was more on the "I want it all free" thinking in the other forum...I think you've got me confused with the Capt...who told us to stop bashing GM about the issue. I came to the thinking that paying for the RB was going to be the best case because GM really should not have to pay for them when it was an option. My argument was if the gaurds were put there to protect the fenders then the guards should have been able to weather the sandblasting that would happen....yes a design flaw IMO but GM has now issued the "fix" one time, granted it only fixes the sandblasted areas to "showroom status" which allows the owner to then get the RB to keep the sandblasting from happening again...to me its a 50/50 split on fault, GM sorta says "yes we F'ed up, but so did the person that bought the HHR without RBs, they should have known this would happen without the RB, so we will meet you 1/2 way" do I agree to this idea of thought, not really but I have better things to do with my time....if GM does see the light at some point down the road, and will give RBs for free to everyone who has paid for them then I'll get in line with my my hand out....fat chance thats gonna happen in my life
I won't get on the soapbox about people not taking responsibility for their choices, but there are easy options if people give it a little thought. Check out www.decalfx.com/paintprotectionfilm.html this is clear vinyl type protective graphic film that can be put on the leading surface of the rear fender flairs to avoid this type of situation. Geez, think before you act, people. Take some responsibility for your choices, and if you eff up, grow a pair and fix it yourself. Enough for now, thanks for listening.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM

20K + miles later, I'm still happy with mine with no RB's. Yeah, there is a little bit of a scuff there on the back fenders you can feel when you run a hand across them, but when it's washed and clean you can't really see it unless you're within inches of it. I do plan on getting some splashguards at some point, but for now, the damage done is minimum and I'm not too worried about it....

CBL
Old 05-16-2006, 06:14 PM

I just rolled over 1500 miles on mine and haven't noticed anything major yet. I'm gonna get mudflaps/splashguards installed and see how that works before I go looking for running boards. If I decided I need them later, that's what tax refunds are for.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:26 PM

Clear film has been out for a long time and it yellows and looks like ...
You've added a new dimension to this problem: People who bought this vehicle were stupid for not realizing ahead of time that they would have paint problems. "Eenie beanie, chili beanie, the spirits are about to speak." The person who uttered those famous words many years ago is now in charge of vehicle design for Chevrolet.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:30 PM

Are they friendly spirits?

*BTW: (it was "Eeenie meenie...) Mr. Winkle.

Isn't this thread on the wrong site anyway???

Old 05-16-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
The person who uttered those famous words many years ago is now in charge of vehicle design for Chevrolet.
He must have worked for Porsche in the '70's - as all their 911's had the same problem.
This is certainly nothing new.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:47 PM

Angry

I don't consider myself stupid at all. Any other vehicle I had didn't need running boards. Chevy knew what they were doing. They undereducated the sales force, and tried to hide the need. A lot of people like me never considered a problem. Hell, Chevy never even mentioned paint damage until the complaints started rolling in. Now they suggest the optional boards. Again, having a college education and having had the opportunity to save a few asses (bodily or tempermental, you choose) over the years, I will never consider myself stupid. Naive perhaps, but never stupid.
So put that in your pipe and smoke it. (Do I sound a bit pissed off?)

Last edited by Firewatcher; 05-17-2006 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

Yeah I definitely don't think people are stupid for not buying running boards. I may have disagreed with some peoples opinion about the whole thing but by no means do I consider them stupid.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 AM

....stupid ? ....never mind, like I've already said, I have better things to do with my time.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:28 AM

Unless you want the looks with running boards, you can make these and not worry about the paint problem.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/appearance-modifications-discussions-6/hhr-splash-guards-protect-1881/

Quick Reply: paint problem