Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

paint problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM

I think this is deffinetly a design flaw that is the fault of GM and that running boards should be standard equp.!! so i contacted my dealership and they gave me a number to GM`s recall and customer services and i called and told them of this issue and that if they fixed it now by providing me with the running boards it would save them from having to pay later to repaint and repair later so they are supposed to call me back and let me know what they can do??!!! I`ll keep you all updated. I also let them know that this is a very widespread issue that I have seen on several web sites and car forums that is going to give the car a bad rep!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM

They (GM) know it's a problem and have already addressed the issue with a TSB. They will repaint the area ONCE and tell the dealer to advise the customer to add running boards at their cost. This TSB was issued April 11, 2006, so GM and the dealers should be fully aware of it. Sounds to me like someone is blowing smoke up your behind.

I went the same route you did before the TSB to no avail. Dealer sold me running boards at their cost and charged me $100 to install. My paint chipping wasn't bad enough to warrant painting because I took care of it right away. I'm not happy that I had to spend nearly $600, but it's better than paying to paint the car. Doesn't sound like they are gonna budge at all.

Here's the link to the TSB addressing this issue.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:31 AM

Most of us are aware of that TSB. It's how GM has handled the thing as a whole. They waited until they couldn't stand the complaints anymore, then offered a quick paint job. They still haven't addressed the real issue and probably won't. Business is way off and they can't afford it. If this was your Hummer......they would have been right on top of it.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by kodak_jack
I was being sarcastic with inchworm's post saying that anybody buying an HHR without runningboards should have known better and was only asking for trouble and needed to take responsibility for doing so. The implication, by him, was that anybody doing so wasn't any too bright. My point was that nobody was going to stand back and analize the damned thing for possible future problems before buying. You just expect the designers to take things like this, along with a lot af testing, into account to eliminate problems.
I disagree, I didn't mean they weren't too bright. Shortsighted, maybe. Naive definitely. And I would hope that other peoples' parents taught them to do just that: analyze the thing for possible future problems. When I consider buying a big-ticket item; car, house, big screen TV, whatever, I ALWAYS consider the future. If this really neato-keen house is going to eat me alive with repairs to the termite infested [but really stylish] cantilevered deck, I don't think the looks are going to provide me enough benefit to offset both the cost and the aggrevation of the upkeep. I love dogs, but will never again have a long-haired Pekinese because while the companionship is great, the upkeep and investment in time to keep her groomed and the house cleaned was just too much for me. Give me a short haired Jack Russell anytime.
And while I don't ascribe any purposefully malicious motive to the car designers, their job is to design something that SELLS. [within the safety regulations] If their esthetic design appeals to you, you will buy the car. I mean, I really get off on the fins on a '59 Caddy, but they are totally unrelated to any functional benefit, they are only for style.
Anyway, I seem to have wandered off-topic BIG TIME, so will stop. Just wanted to respond, repeating that I don't think most people are not too bright, I just think a some people are short sighted and WAY TOO MANY people feel entitled in some way when perhaps they should assume some responsibility themselves.