Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Precut Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM

Precut Window Tint

I bought a "precut window tint kit" for the front 2 windows of my '06. I've always tinted my own windows in the past and figured this would make it slick & easy...

WRONG. The cut outs were WAY too large - almost 1-2" all the way around. I totally understand there should be a little extra to tuck into/under the sill area - but this was wayy too much. I tried 1 window and ended up throwing that one away - I couldn't tuck that much excess, just not possible.

I've emailed the tint company I bought these from - not sure what they'll tell me. Anyone else tried using these and had any luck?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 AM
jx3

When I had Dory's windows tinted, they tried using the precut ones from a computer program. After 15 mins of trying to put the film on, the installer scrapped it and started over doing it the old style from a roll of film.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:37 AM

The easiest way to get the tint on the HHR's windows is to pull off the weatherstrip that surrounds the window. The most difficult part about removing it is pulling away the top of the door panel so the bottom portion of the weatherstrip will come off. Once you get the windows tinted and dry enough the weatherstrip will push back on. It is important not to bend it too much. there is metal inside the weatherstrip that helps it hold its shape. I don't think I would drive without it on either. The window could break against the door frame if it is jarred enough.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dbfruth
The easiest way to get the tint on the HHR's windows is to pull off the weatherstrip that surrounds the window. The most difficult part about removing it is pulling away the top of the door panel so the bottom portion of the weatherstrip will come off. Once you get the windows tinted and dry enough the weatherstrip will push back on. It is important not to bend it too much. there is metal inside the weatherstrip that helps it hold its shape. I don't think I would drive without it on either. The window could break against the door frame if it is jarred enough.
There are several vechiles we do this to. Makes it easy with no trash.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM

i tinted mine with a precut timt and it tok me a few mins to get the tint tucked down in the door but after that it fit great...