Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

rat rodder chop top

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 AM

rat rodder chop top

ok this is for the older crowd who has chopped tops and things like that. im looking to get some info on how to section the roof and how to measure the chop on the hhr. im slanting the top back about 5'' lower. do i angle to cuts or what any help please shoot em a pm and i can call you
Old 07-30-2009, 07:39 AM

post pics when you start. good luck witht the thin sheetmetal
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM

I by no means am a Professional Bodyman but Math was a Good subject for me in school ! Just seems that with removing only 5" in the rear and graduated sections from the front to the back you would come up short where the Top Half would meat the Bottom half in the back ? Do-able yes but you could end up with a convertable ! With this said I wished I lived in PA. cause I love to help cut someone elses HHR up ! A wise man (Garagebuilt) once said; "If I had it to do over I wish I had never started" .....

Good Luck and Take Pics,
Old 07-30-2009, 09:31 AM

are you wanting the rear to be lower? like the whole roof slanted? if so instead of cutting the middle of the pillars out you will cut at the top of the window and have to change the angles. to get a idea of the work you will have to do print out a pic of the hhr. then using scissors cut it up and piece it together. that will tell you where you will need to add or subtract metal.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 AM

on just a regular chop here is where you would add unless you lay the front window back.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:00 AM

chop

i have never chopped a car...but i got welding fitting experience...of coarse you know that lots of the interior will have to be custom fitted...all the windows got to fit...i guess the front and rear can be cut down to fit...the windows that roll up/down i would think would be the easiest , if take only out of the middle of the posts i would think that the window would still work the same....even though most auto glass may look to be flat most is not...i'd love to see you do it...and i'm sure it can be done..it is just alot of work and alot of things to consider....good luck.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM

can you get custom weatherstipping? i just found out yesterday while tearing mine apart for paint that the small piece of glass in the back doors is part of the weatherstripping.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
can you get custom weatherstipping? i just found out yesterday while tearing mine apart for paint that the small piece of glass in the back doors is part of the weatherstripping.
i would think yes..but i don't know where is good...i think that some is made as part of the window....on my isuzu (s10) xcab windows ,both sides have ripped fell off . they look to me like they are made on the window..i really hate it....oh , i would think that you could find the exact type weatherstripping , some companies specialize it . it is the only thing they make.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:18 PM

West Coast Customs did one, check it out here.
http://cars.ign.com/articles/591/591179p1.html

I would love to do that to mine, sure looks sweet.

Kelvin
Old 07-30-2009, 06:40 PM

The WCC HHR almost looks like a taller, fatter Magnum.

Quick Reply: rat rodder chop top