Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

rat rodder chop top

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
are you wanting the rear to be lower? like the whole roof slanted? if so instead of cutting the middle of the pillars out you will cut at the top of the window and have to change the angles. to get a idea of the work you will have to do print out a pic of the hhr. then using scissors cut it up and piece it together. that will tell you where you will need to add or subtract metal.
im just looking to do a slant back similar to the 47 merc. interior is no problem for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
i have never chopped a car...but i got welding fitting experience...of coarse you know that lots of the interior will have to be custom fitted...all the windows got to fit...i guess the front and rear can be cut down to fit...the windows that roll up/down i would think would be the easiest , if take only out of the middle of the posts i would think that the window would still work the same....even though most auto glass may look to be flat most is not...i'd love to see you do it...and i'm sure it can be done..it is just alot of work and alot of things to consider....good luck.
Glass is the biggest headache in doing these...the sheetmetal surgery is the easy part. You cannot cut the side or rear glass as it's tempered, only the windshield can be cut down, as it's laminated. Priced custom formed tempered glass lately? When inquiring for my barn doors, cost would be a minimum of $5000 to make the tooling to form the glass! Easiest way would be to find a laminated windshield with the same curvature (lots of scrounging in scrap yards with curvature templates) and have it cut down to fit the liftgate. Side glass is only curved in one plane, but may be hard to find a windshield that doesn't have compound curves.

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
can you get custom weatherstipping? i just found out yesterday while tearing mine apart for paint that the small piece of glass in the back doors is part of the weatherstripping.
garagebuilt, what are you trying to do with the small glass on the rear door? It does come out of the weatherstripping, just a tight fit. If you tore the rubber, I'm sure you can get a replacement from a junkyard out of a damaged door. I had mine all apart in preparation for welding the window opening up like a panel door, then had to put it back together in order to drive the thing It came apart easier than it went back together
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM

mine is apart for paint i was just pointing out that it was part of the weatherstriping and may be hard to "chop"
Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 PM

glass modification

I don't want to do anything to discourage you, but modern unibody stuff isn't very accomodating when it comes to "old skool" modifications.

I'm no expert, but I learned more about chops and glass modification listening to this guy for a half an hour than I have in my whole life:

http://www.kennyskustomsmb.com/

There apparently IS a way to cut the tempered glass, but it requires special tools, extreme patience and probably a lot of windshields, because one slip and POW! glass crumbles.

Best of luck! I'd love to see it. I'd love even more to see a welded up three door with a single glass in the sides like a delivery wagon or a Nomad. Keep the faith!