Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Rear bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Deceased

i think it is great too
want to make more and sell them?

hmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cj krause
i think it is great too

hmmmmmmmmmmm
You should be able to make your own. You're an expert with chrome molding by now.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:42 PM

I would agree with JDdrumman. As a Keyboardist, I also am extremely anal about loading my gear in my HHR and the stock bumper guard does almost nothing in protection, except matching the running boards.

I also use a secondary blanket to cover the whole bumper during loading, and then use the same blanket to cover the gear to prevent scratching up the rear door. Unfortunately, my daughter does not pay much attention as I do, and when she was loading her Tenor Sax, slid the case on the bumper. So much for scratches...

In fact, I thought the main purpose for the bumper guard was to protect it as if it were a step, to reach the roof. I can barely get my toes on the pad without stepping on the painted surface. I am beginning to believe that it is only for aesthetic purposes...

For the most part, as a musician, I am extremely happy about the cargo room. I have room for all my gear (3 keyboards, in cases, keyboard stand, KC550 amp, and several accessory cases), and all this with only the right side seat folded down. Hence, have room for 3 passengers. For my gig last night, I folded both seats down, and had room to load in 2 extra PA speakers 15" enclosures, and an amp case........I am so glad I did not get the PT
Old 03-12-2006, 04:58 PM

it shouldent be that hard to make one yourslef.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:48 PM

djhubba, 06ChevyHHR

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
i think it is great too

hmmmmmmmmmmm
CJ,

I'm not very interested in reselling them, but thanks. Besides, it'd be a 4-piece assemble-it-yourself-kit unless I pre-assembled it on sign vinyl or something.

There are 3 strips of 1-inch chrome cut to the shape of the factory bumper cover.

At that point, it looked like it could be interesting, but despite it being perfectly the right shape, it looked pretty rough around the edges, or a tad more ghetto than I wanted.

I had some 3/8 half-round chrome molding laying around. I looked at putting that around it, but the 1-inch was much higher than the 3/8-inch-- the cut edges of the 1-inch chrome showed up quite 'nicely' next to the 3/8-inch. That didn't look very nice at all.

Sooooo... I turned the chrome on its side (with the adhesive facing the edges of the 1-inch molding), and that looked better, but it stuck up too much above the 1-inch molding. Visually it was so-so, and I wasn't convinced the adhesive would hold up in that position, so...

I ended up shaving off one edge of the 3/8-inch - everything 'below' (in the orientation I used it) the adhesive line was cut off. I then stuck it sideways to the edge of the 1-inch molding with the cut edge down.

Sizing was perfect and it looks great.

Later, I'll post a pic that should make my above explanation a bit more clear - sometimes I'm not so great at describing these things without accompanying illustrations.

Cost was about $35 total.

:)

Last edited by HHR Nut; 03-12-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by erf2u
In fact, I thought the main purpose for the bumper guard was to protect it as if it were a step, to reach the roof. I can barely get my toes on the pad without stepping on the painted surface. I am beginning to believe that it is only for aesthetic purposes...
I was told the purpose was to prevent scuffing when loading groceries or whatever and that made sense to me because of the scuffs I had on my last bumper from loading groceries.

When I had a full-size truck I had to stand on the back bumper from time to time, but I have to admit that it never occurred to me to stand on the bumper of my HHR.

I always assumed that for heavier or more 'dangerous' (in terms of scuffing) items, I'd use a heavy-ish blanket or in a pinch, pull the cargo mat back over the bumper.

In your case, though, I can understand your frustration with the bumper protector.

For me, it offers paint protection in most cases and its for aesthetic purposes as well. There are already some minor scuffs on the chrome, but IMO it still looks a lot better than the factory option.

FWIW. :)
Old 03-12-2006, 09:34 PM

HHR Nut that looks great. Just curious where did you pick up the parts at?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Thanks.

The 1" chrome was purchased for another project, but never used. 14' was $31.35 shipped from Sportwing.com. I hear Pep Boys carries it, but they don't have it at any that I've been to.

3/8" half-round chrome was purchased at Pep Boys for $5, but what I used was also left over from another project.

Pep Boys sometimes has 3/4" chrome in stock for about $15 (except when you run out and really need it-- then, of course they will be out of stock and you'll have to mail order it-- not that I'm speaking from experience or anything... ).
Old 03-12-2006, 10:04 PM

The 3/8" chrome cuts very easily with a sharp razor blade. I went through at least six.

If you do this, just go slow and be careful -- I'm not trying to be condescending, but it was so going so smoothly that when I was nearly finished, I let my guard down and have the scar to prove it.

I guess I forgot I had a brand new shiny razor blade in my hand. Blah.

Believe it or not, I do know better. Guess we all do stupid things...

Quick Reply: Rear bumper cover