Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Rear bumper cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Question Rear bumper cover

Hey everyone. Have a question.

Need some help on what to use to protect the rear bumper. Starting see scuffs.

Mike at SoCal no longer carries the double cover, due to lack of interest. He does have the single ones but I need more coverage.

Any suggestions would be great. I did think about using the spray-on bedliner stuff but not sure.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Best bet....make your own...after thinking it out to meet your application.

You could even use the clear bra protection material from 3M if you wish to retain the color of the bumper.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM

I've had Mike's Carbon Look pad on mine for about 6 months and found it works really well. No scratches on it or the rear bumper cover. I'm pleased and consider it a great investment.

HHRNut...a member who used to post here made her own with chrome trim...it turned out very nice. I have posted a photo below...looks like she used 3/4" molding to make it and trimmed it with 1/4". Just another idea to consider.

Old 11-09-2006, 08:51 AM

Anyone know where to get the 3M stuff?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:08 AM

Any place that does clear bra installation should have it on hand. From what I understand it can be a little tricky to put on. You might want to consider having someone put it on for you...I'm sure it's not too expensive to have that done. You could also check eBay...I'm sure you'll be able to find some there too.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 AM
Platinum Member

Naw, actually Deb, it's ONLY difficult when it needs to be stretched to meet contours....like on the front facia. If he is installing it between the 2 bumper pads(essentially the same area as a pad) and then down, it should be a "snap", for someone with nominal skills. Same principals as applying decals.

I've applied the "stuff" to some of my other vehicles, in flat areas to prevent stone damage, and it was relatively easy.

But, you can probably buy the OEM pad for about the same price as the 3M clear protection.

Use Google for suppliers of either.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:45 PM

Thanks Snoopy...I'm usually a little leery to try something new unless others tell me whether I should attempt it or not. Thanks for the info...I'll put that away in my HHR memory bank.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Hey rabado....

Received an e-mail from Costco with a large number of sale items. This was on it and I thought of you. Depending on your use application, this might work for you (unless you wanted to "dress" your car also).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ib_BCEmail_177