Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Rear and Side View Camera intall Pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:24 PM

Rear and Side View Camera intall Pics

I recently installed a rear view license plate mount camera as well as a side view camera as shown in the pic. I'm new to posting pics on this forum, I have many more views to post, how many pics can I post in one thread or should I copy the photobucket album in one shot? Thanks. I guess I should resize the photos as well.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Here's a slideshow link for my camera install. Hope this works. I'm a noob when it comes to computers, I'm more comfortable with a wrench in my hand than a mouse.

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM

great idea!
dig the slide show too

Old 02-17-2012, 08:58 PM

Nice work.

Do you have a pic of the screen when it is displaying the side view? Something that shows what you would see when in traffic conditions perhaps?

Any plans to make the side camera blend into the car?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the comments. I can post a pic of the side camera while on. Basically, instead of only viewing what is visible out the passenger window, I can see the entire side view, although at a wide angle distance. I was trying to imitate what the view would be if my panel had the two side windows. I installed this second camera with the hope that I could see merging traffic from the left while stopped at a yield or stop sign in a right hand lane. There are four intersections in my town where I have to stop and be able to see what's coming from a left sided merging lane. Without the camera, it's impossible for me to see anything without freeing myself from the seatbelt and moving all the way over to look out the passenger window. I've tested one intersection so far and it works. I need to test the other three. The side view camera is as flush as can be in terms of trying to camouflage. I guess I could paint the thin black outer ring red to match the body, but that's about it. I'll say one thing, it's very distracting to have the side view camera on while driving at speed. Probably fun for a passenger. The spotting mirrors on my side view mirrors work fine for the hwy and changing lanes.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:53 AM

nice! I thought it was for backing out of a parking space.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:34 AM

The rear view for backing out, the side view for yielding to left lane mergers while stopped. The rear view comes on automatically when reverse is chosen, I have to turn the monitor on to use the side view. Unit comes with a remote as well.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Dude!!! You drilled a hole in your car! (sorry,couldn't resist )
Old 02-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Great idea. As a fan of "stealth" type installs,if I were to undertake the same project I would have used the same camera as the one you used on the side in the wiper hole they look similar in size. For the side I would have used the same type of camera but mounted it closer to the taillights in an attempt to make it less obvious to a passer by.
Would you be so kind as to post where you got these great safety features?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Fox Hat, I meant to mount the side view closer to the taillight because there is a bulkhead behind the sheet metal. The side view camera is ~3" long and in the position currently, it just clears this support. An oops moment after the hole was drilled. I also should have tested the camera facing rearward, maybe above the taillight or in between to obtain the view I was after. I don't really mind that the cameras are not hidden, but for some an issue. I bought the gear from an Ebay seller, Leviathan Holdings,LLC. Steve is excellent to deal with and if you google rear view cameras, he has a primer on what to look for in cameras, monitors, etc. A basic buyers guide for the beginner. His address besides the Ebay listing is: Steve Gudin, Leviathan Holdings,LLC, 12128 N Division ST. #206, Spokane, WA 99218-1905.

Yeah, I drilled two holes in the car. If I decide to move the side view, I will have to repair as well. The Fun never stops.

One thing I forgot to mention is that these cameras work at night. The rear has 4 Leds on each side of the lens and the side view has a ring of Leds. They provide about 50' of viewing. It looks like there's a construction light aimed onto the street it works so well.

Quick Reply: Rear and Side View Camera intall Pics