Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

removing airbag cover on passenger side (dash)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM

removing airbag cover on passenger side (dash)

How would i remove the cover on top of the passenger side of the dash, if i wanted to wrap it in suede, without the airbag going off or anything like that? wanted to check here before i start, incase i need to disconnect anything, etc.

thanks!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:48 AM

bump
Old 09-27-2010, 08:39 AM

First thing is to unplug the bag by either removing the side panel or dropping the glove box. There are two pita nuts ( 10mm I think ) that hold the assembly in from underneath, once those are removed you can then pry the cover up from the dash top. I reccomend getting some automotive interior trim pry bars, they are a fiberglass reinforced material that, with some care, won't chew up the dash. The cover is held to the assembly with bent over tabs. The airbag cover is more of a soft plastic/rubber than the rest of the dash. I swore that GM specs called for sharpening every piece of metal behind the dash to razor sharpness.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM

Oh i had cuts all over my hands running speaker wire through the door jams, LOL.

so i can safely unplug the airbag without it deploying or anything? should i disconnect the ground on the battery first for a given amount of time before unplugging the bag?

i actually want to remove that whole top dash piece now..i saw some guys on here that had his painted red. i actually want to cover mine in suede, and leave the lower part of the dash factory. thinking of wrapping the outer part of the entire door panels as well, leaving the pocket, armrest, etc factory in the center of the door.

my headliner, and A/B pillars are alredy suede as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM

Disconnecting the ground isn't a bad idea, but I didn't. OnStar doesn't like it, and every month I get a warning for it. You'll still need to get the two nuts fir the airbag before you can pull the top of the dash off. Covering it might be easier than smoothing it like I did.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:36 AM

yea i plan to cover all that. i like the black interior, but the generic looking panels im not too fond of.

IMO, ford is years ahead of GM interior wise, lol
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Father Azmodius
Disconnecting the ground isn't a bad idea, but I didn't.
Never work on any airbag component without the BATTERY DISCONNECTED!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Never work on any airbag component without the BATTERY DISCONNECTED!
I know, I should be tarred and feathered. I feel the same way when I see someone riding in shorts and a t shirt ( I ride in leather and Kevlar no matter how hot it is ). I had a blonde moment with that.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Isn't covering the airbag with suede going to adversely affect it's performance? Better hope you never have a lawyer for a passenger.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 PM

I would suspect that as long as the parts of the cover that are meant to tear away aren't covered, it should be fine. I am no expert though.

Quick Reply: removing airbag cover on passenger side (dash)