Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Saturday morning "mod"

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 AM

Cool Saturday morning "mod"

I spent the last hour installing this Homelink, rolling code garage door opener in the headliner of my HHR. Got if off E-bay for $20 with shipping. I had just got tired of the remote hanging on my sunvisor....Ohno (Rick)
Old 10-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Sanitary installation. It looks factory. Well done sir. God Bless, Marc
Old 10-10-2009, 02:57 PM

I'd do it, if I had a garage
Old 10-10-2009, 03:07 PM

Excellent Rick!

Where did you pick up power for it? Just one power wire & a ground? I need to do this also, have a factory installed one in our Tahoe & love it.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Wanna come do one for me??!?!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:20 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Excellent Rick!

Where did you pick up power for it? Just one power wire & a ground? I need to do this also, have a factory installed one in our Tahoe & love it.
There is a constant power source by the steering column. Real easy to wire up. Like you said, one hot one ground.... The only trouble I had was moving the power wire that runs the light that points down at the window switchs. It was glued down to the inside of the headliner. Even after I removed the mirror and the clips that hold the sunvisors there still was not much room to git my hands in there to work....But all in all not a hard job....P.S. If you are going to do this. Keep in mind, make sure you buy the Homelink that works with your opener. Rolling code or non rolling. Also, the top cover (the piece you see on my headliner)on the Homelink switch assembly snaps off. So you can buy any color you want then paint it to match your interior. Seems everybody on E-bay only wanted certain colors. So I was able to buy the "undesired" color cheaper.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Wow!, I was just thinking about this very thing this morning.
Can you give more details? How many parts are involved? Is there a sending unit or is it all in the button panel?

Thanks!

I've got an OLD remote-almost as big as a eyeglass case, that I keep in the center dash box. Something like that would be great...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Kinison_fan
Wow!, I was just thinking about this very thing this morning.
Can you give more details? How many parts are involved? Is there a sending unit or is it all in the button panel?

Thanks!

I've got an OLD remote-almost as big as a eyeglass case, that I keep in the center dash box. Something like that would be great...
It is all one piece. Buttons and unit combined. Go on E-bay and type in Homelink...You will see lots of different door openers. (The one I used came from inside the visor of a Mercury Mountaineer, so it is small) There are others to chose from, full console with opener and lights and cubby holes, or lights and opener, or opener with built in voice recorder. (I just went for functional, opener only, cheap) Like I said in the other post, not hard. Basic stereo installation skills. Use of wire strippers and crimpers, test light, ETC. I just ran the wires along the headliner then down the "A" piller post under the rubber seal for the door. Removed the cover on the end of the dash and ran over to the harness under the steering colunm. Grounded to metal close by, added an inline fuse. Done. This is the same way you "hard wire" a radar detector or GPS.....Then I used my wifes instructions from her cars owners manual to program the unit. Any car with the Homelink has the instructions. Doe's not have to be (in my case) a Mercury........Works perfect....Sorry I didn't take pix....Ohno (Rick)
Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
jx3

How about installing one if I were to come to you??
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM

think its quick enough to do at the GTG in Punta Gorda?

Quick Reply: Saturday morning "mod"