Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Shaved rear wiper mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007 | 01:03 AM

Shaved rear wiper mod

Well I missed the Modesto meet today so I figured I'd better have a good reason. Yesturday I removed my rear wiper and liked it so I decided to shave it today. Let me just say for the record this is the first time I've done this so give me a break.
I removed the cover from the mounting stud of the rear wiper and took off the bolt holding the wiper onto the stud that goes though the car and holds the wiper on, I then wiggled the wiper loose and removed it. I then removed the interior panel from the hatch, then I removed the three bolts holding the wiper motor in place, unplugged the wiper motor plug and removed the motor from the hatch. I then taped up the electrical plug so it would move around and rattle or get damaged. That whole process took about 15mins, it's really that easy.
Now for the hars part. Filling the hole! I sanded the inside of the hatch where the motor was and the inside of the hole in the hatch. I placed some
3" painters tape over the outside of the hole and I mixed up some bondo ( yes Bondo I know I should have welded it, but I don't weld and I might want to put the wiper back on someday) so I spread the bondo onto the inside of the hatch over the hole so it would fill the hole and the tape would make the bondo dry flush with the outside of the hatch. I let that set up overnight and then this morning I used 400Grit paper and sanded the bondo and followed up with some 2000grit to smooth it out. I taped off the circle I need to paint the spot and I sprayed on some primer, then 2 coats of a metallic silver base coat ( to ensure the metallic in the paint would show up good) and then I sprayed 3 layers of DBM I had in a touch up bottle and then came the clear coats. I wet sanded with the 2000grit paper between each layer of primer, base, color and clear waiting about a 1/2 hour between spraying and sanding ( thanks Stick for the tips) and wet sanded the final coat of clear which left it foggy. I let that dry for about an hour and used a refinishing/polishing compound ( by hand) called Farecla to bring out a nice shine and cleaqn up any extra marks from sanding. You need to wait at least 30 days for the paint to fully cure before waxing new paint or you risk clouding the paint.
So it sounds easy enough but trust me for a guy who doesn't paint it was a pain in the butt and at one time I had to start all over because the paint peeled off like a sticker (layers too thick and didn't sand between layers or let it dry long enough) but at the end I think it was worth it because I love the clean look of it.
Here's your pics.....

So of course I want to know what you all think. And I must thank Stick once again for his "typed" help with this project and thank Crowbar and this https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...ght=rear+wiper thread fort the inspiration.
Old 09-16-2007 | 01:18 AM

Looks good Jim...I think you did a nice job. I'm not as energetic as you, so I just did this to mine.

Last edited by courthousedeb; 09-16-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Photo removed due to admin censorship.
Old 09-16-2007 | 01:24 AM

Believe me, about 1/2 way though this when I had to start over from bondo up, I was just going to move the Autobot sticker down a few inches and call it good
Old 09-16-2007 | 01:27 AM

You're a much braver person than I am. Good job!!!
Old 09-16-2007 | 10:21 AM

thank you!
Old 09-18-2007 | 11:37 AM

BTW does anyone know where a good place to get some retainer clips at? I work at an autoparts store and we don't have the right ones. Some online discount gm parts website or something, I busted the two little clips on either side of the rear latch thingy (officail term) at the bottom while removing it.

I called the delear and the part number for these plastic rivets on both sides of the hatch latch is 15775345. This number is for the grey in color ones since they can be seen. So, any ideas where I can get them besides the dealer, they want $7.06 ea. I guess its a good thing I only need two

Last edited by R CA HHR; 09-18-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: combined posts
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:29 PM

Why do they always ream people for replacement parts?? UGH!!!

Hey, how much do you charge to do my wiper... (in my dreams, right?)
Notice I didn't ask you anything about my butt!
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:46 PM

I would love to do your rear wiper, but it was pretty much trial and error with this since I don't do body work or paint very much, and I wouldn't want to mess up your beautifull HHR.
I wish I would have named the thread something else so people would know what is was about and maybe more people would read it :)
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:26 PM

Sindy can change it for ya....PM her. Yeah, I understand...I'd be a paranoid wreck to do work for anyway...LOL
Old 09-18-2007 | 07:30 PM
Founding Member

I can do what.... what would you like it renamed?

Quick Reply: Shaved rear wiper mod