Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Stock Steel Wheel Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:07 AM

Stock Steel Wheel Weight?

Hey everyone...

I am waiting for my new Riax Fontana rims and tires to come in and I had recently read a thread about how bigger/heavier wheels can effect breaking distance.

I know how heavy my new wheels and tires will be, but I was wondering if anyone knows the weight of the stock 16" steel wheels that come on the LS?

Thanks in advance!
Groovielou
Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 AM

Just put one on the scale the rim is 19 1/2 lbs and with the plastic wheel cover it`s 21 lbs.Most alloy`s come in at 18-21 lbs so in most cases there is nothing to gain in weight loss.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 AM

The factor at play here is not the wheel weight, but rather the weight distribution of it: larger diameter wheels have more material away from the center, therefore increasing rotational inertia. Inertia is what makes it hard to get something going or to stop it, so it has an impact on your brakes (and acceleration, btw).
However, given the total mass that the brakes have to stop, the difference between 16" and 18" probably has a negligeable impact on daily driving. If you were putting on a set of 24" or 30" wheels, then it's a different story.

Yves