Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Stone guard protection...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM

stone guards

they came on my new 2010 Ls!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Deceased

Depending on the color I think that chromed stone guards would be sharp as all get out. For me I'll still be a running board guy, they don't catch 100% of everything, but they catch enough.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Only the higher end trim levels had the stainless stone guards....a lot of the lower trim levels had black rubber. Thats where I got idea for making mine look like black rubber.....

Cheaper and easier to......

Oh and just for the record the old style ones were usually if not always stainless steel not chrome. Chrome would have pitted/rusted to easy on the thin sheetmetal. Have them on my '49 Chevy sedan.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by American & Proud
Here it is. A real BEAUTY!
Great picture!
It displays an idea I have.
See the beltline chrome trim that separates the top half from the bottom half?
I thought of doing something similar, except install the chrome trim in line with the door handles, and about the same width. The chrome trim would end about 12" into the hood where I would put an emblem of some kind....
Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
Great picture!
It displays an idea I have.
See the beltline chrome trim that separates the top half from the bottom half?
I thought of doing something similar, except install the chrome trim in line with the door handles, and about the same width. The chrome trim would end about 12" into the hood where I would put an emblem of some kind....
Merchants sell a belt line Crome kit. Search for them online.

You can also find the small wheel well chrome in rolls at auto parts stores and cut your own. There are different sizes. Smaller will flex and follow curves better.

If you search around the gallery pics I am sure someone has it done for you to see it on an HHR.

BTW- Install it at the Body Line.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by HHorange
Only the higher end trim levels had the stainless stone guards....a lot of the lower trim levels had black rubber. Thats where I got idea for making mine look like black rubber.....

Cheaper and easier to......

Oh and just for the record the old style ones were usually if not always stainless steel not chrome. Chrome would have pitted/rusted to easy on the thin sheetmetal. Have them on my '49 Chevy sedan.
I believe thats basically what I already said in Post #7.

"Yeah that was me that wanted to get them and Chrome them.

I even posted a pic of a '49 Chevy Sedan Delivery with Stainless Steel ones on it."

Even low end Models of the 30's 40's 50's 60's and even up into the 70's used stainless steel trim. Just depended on the Make and Model.

Coupe De Ville was Cadillacs Low end offering, they had PLENTY of it.

Even Chevys basic models had plenty of chrome and stainless steel trim, it was Not a high end only use. And you could Add more trim that was Factory but Dealer Installed as well.

Typically Higher end models had or could have more installed, but it was not only used on the high end models.

I used the word "Chrome" in generic terms because highly polished stainless steel has the look of chrome or even a mirror finish.

And I was also talking about Covering the HHR's plastic piece in Chrome Vinyl, to get the Retro "Look" I would be after.

And I would use the '06 style with my running boards on.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Actually the 42-47 ford stone guards were rubber......so were some early buick guards, along with Volvo and studebaker.

I was not trying to say anything negative about what you said. I was just pointing out why I went with black on mine....
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM

I kow this may be a little off topic.. but can these guards be removed??? i recently just added running boards, and soon splash guards to go with them and i just see no use to have tehem, i also like the look without them.

does anyone have experience removing these??
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by HHorange
Actually the 42-47 ford stone guards were rubber......so were some early buick guards, along with Volvo and studebaker.

I was not trying to say anything negative about what you said. I was just pointing out why I went with black on mine....
No problem, I just thought you may have missed the earlier post and based yours on our talking about them as "chrome". Yeah rubber ones were on cars back then as well, I want to try recreating the stainless steel Look

Smoothe~ride
I don't know how they were installed on the HHR since I don't have them, but if you do remove them and they are the Thicker ones, i'd take them.

I'd like to "Experiment" and see IF I can or can't WRAP them in Chrome Vinyl. I'd pay for shipping if your gonna remove them.

Edit to Add- Open the rear door look inside, any nuts, bolts, or screws down were they are? If not, they just may be Stuck on with double sided tape?

Careful, sometimes these type mouldings had thin metal inside them and will bend out of shape if not removed carefully. Hair dryer may help loosen the glue on the tape. Could use a thin flexable 3-4 inch wide scraper to get behind and Carefully work it loose as you go. Wrap the blade with some Duct Tape so you don't scratch your paint.

Last edited by American & Proud; 12-08-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Im Going to keep looking into getting these remove, and once they are off you can definately have them. Thanks for your reply....ill be in touch.

Quick Reply: Stone guard protection...