Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Tail Light Lens

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 10:25 AM

Tail Light Lens

want to install the blue dots in my tail light lens...what's best way to remove lens and to make hole in them without cracking them?i've doon the drill way before on other builds but sometimes the lens cracks..just checking to see if safer way doing it..also how to remove lens?
Old 05-29-2007 | 10:32 AM
jx3

Here's a how to from another thread......

Originally Posted by moose-e-man
Lets start with the removal of the tail light assy from the car. Just forward of either taillight assy. inside of the car is a long slinder panel. That pops out with a common screw driver. That will allow you access to the light assy. You must remove the "black insullation and body deadner foam. It will not go back as easy as it comes out. That will allow you to gain access to the 3 nuts holding the light assy on the car. Those if i remember are a #"10 metric". Be careful not to drop those little nuts. They will go all the way down to the ground !!! At least you think they did. You may want to remove the light plug wire and bulb from the socket at this time by rotating 90 Degrees. I chose to leave mine on, on the right hand side. Then the lens and light housing come out as a single piece.
If you are going to drill the lens with a drill bit and do it in stages, be sure to "DULL" the edges of the drill flutes. As well as the center of the bit. This will not allow you to crack the plastic when drilling. Do not push hard, let the drill bit do the work for you. I drilled my out to a 1/4 " hole the used a high speed dye grinder and router bit. Brought it out to size. I believe it was 15/16. Be sure to "de-bir" the hole before installing the Blue Dots.
installed the metal retainer, bent over the tabs and sealed the edges. Installed in the reverse order. Hope this helps. I too was a little intimidated, It's not that hard. Look at thread "I finally got the blues."
Good luck.
SoCal has a how to showing how to get at the tail lights........

SoCal's Spider Lights
Old 06-10-2010 | 06:21 PM

well gee wizzers here in ca they are illegal and the local chp will just plain take their pocket knife and remove em(may not be legal but they do it) blue does denote a police car or bike the blues are mostly used on hot rods
Old 06-10-2010 | 06:53 PM

I'd like to do blue dots too....... Don't think Johnny Law would agree.
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:35 PM

there are some dumb laws...........
Old 06-10-2010 | 07:39 PM

I wonder if it would be legal to blue dot the red reflectors????? It's technically NOT a light and they would still be red reflectors.
Old 06-10-2010 | 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I wonder if it would be legal to blue dot the red reflectors????? It's technically NOT a light and they would still be red reflectors.
they wouldn't do much in the reflectors... you need the light behind the blue dot to get then to show up

I've had blue dots on several vehicles over the years.

I was going to do them on mine, but decided not to.

it's been mentioned in a few posts that the curvature of the lenses, angles they are on and the distance of the bulbs from them make it difficult to get blue dots to show up and or work properly.
Old 06-10-2010 | 08:12 PM

Shucks....why not just put some dummy spotlights on while your at it. And also some side pipes , Man. "Moon"
Old 06-10-2010 | 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blue car
well gee wizzers here in ca they are illegal and the local chp will just plain take their pocket knife and remove em(may not be legal but they do it) blue does denote a police car or bike the blues are mostly used on hot rods
I don't believe that. Maybe one (1) isolated incident. But to remove the blue dot would allow white light to show to the rear.....which is illegal in all states (exception is license plates at a noted luminosity). Thus creating another violation. The courts, the officers superiors and the politicians would have a great time with that.
Old 06-12-2010 | 01:30 PM

Had blue dots in a few vehicles, after a while the water would get in and pop bulbs or rot the reflector.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Lens