Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:46 PM

Wax ?

Ok Im so confused about which wax to buy, Zymol?, Mothers, Meguries? GM wax from Chevrolet parts counter? Turtle? Use a clay bar before waxing?. I'm looking for a wax that not only goes on well but removes as easly, long lasting to washing, shines that stands out above the rest.
what's everyone using ?
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 PM

My son clay barred his black Dodge truck the other day. He bought the Meguiar's 2 pack clay bars. Awsome stuff! The paint was soooooo smooth afterwards. He then applied Meguiar's wax (not sure which). His truck really shines now. Seeing how well it works finally has me thinking of doing the same to my HHR.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:26 PM

You'll get a lot of opinions on this one. I use Meguires NXT synthetic wax on mine after a good hand wash. It goes on and comes off easily and IMO the shine is second to none. The downside is you have to be carefull not to get any on the flat black parts of the car becouse the residue is tough to get off. Like many others you are supposed to apply out of direct sunlight. I've been tempted to try turtle wax ice, becouse you can use it on flat black surfaces and in full sun, and there is no residue. I'll prbably try it after my NXT runs out.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:56 PM

I've used the TW Ice paste wax/polish.

Once you get it going with a bit of water (it's really hard initially) it works well, even on the black plastic.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:08 PM

I've applied Meguiars NXT synthetic wax this week as well; easy on, easy off, it's one of the best out there. While I was doing it, I found all kinds of small stuck on debris, so I really should have clayed before but didn't have enough time to do it. My choices were to clay and leave it without wax for who knows how long, or to skip the clay. Oh well, next time.

Other good ones are the Klasse all-in-one and the P12S (pricy !).

Yves
Old 06-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
While I was doing it, I found all kinds of small stuck on debris, so I really should have clayed before but didn't have enough time to do it. My choices were to clay and leave it without wax for who knows how long, or to skip the clay.
Ok guys excuse my ignorance here but what exactly is this "clayed" thing that you speak about?

My HHR is the first new car I have bought in 16 years so I am kindly behind on all of this stuff to keep our rides looking good..

Rick
Old 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM

It's to remove very fine embedded particules from the paint surface and get that mirror show finish. My HHR seems to have been "exposed" to small metallic particules at the factory that have stuck in the clearcoat and are starting to rust. I see these tiny specs of rust everywhere stuck in the paint, and claying (rubbing the paint with a clay bar, with lubricant) the paint should remove them.

Here's a how-to, there are tons of them:

HTML Code:
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/asp/ccr/ccr20030401cb.asp
Yves
Old 06-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
It's to remove very fine embedded particules from the paint surface and get that mirror show finish. My HHR seems to have been "exposed" to small metallic particules at the factory that have stuck in the clearcoat and are starting to rust. I see these tiny specs of rust everywhere stuck in the paint, and claying (rubbing the paint with a clay bar, with lubricant) the paint should remove them.
There's a TSB for the rust "in" the paint.

I used the TW liquid clay bar and they didn't come out. I'll have to try a proper clay bar at some point.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM

There's a TSB for the rust "in" the paint.
I wasn't aware of that. What does it say the fix is? 80 grit sandpaper?
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a dealership tech to take care of that. It's too much TLC.

I have the clay bar; maybe I'll try a couple of spots to see if it's effective. I'll have to wait a bit though, my wife is starting to get jalous.

Yves
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM

I checked, my son used the Meguires NXT . Nice shine, said it wasn't bad to work with. And he plans on using a claybar at least once a year, given our great climate here.