Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Wax ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:24 PM

Those small particles are called rail dust. It comes from your vehicle being transported on the train.

Two ways to get rid of it

1. Ultra Fine or Fine cut rubbing compound applied by hand.

2. Clay bar or The Turtle Wax liquid clay bar.

I use the TW Liquid Clay Bar. You really have to work it in but does a good job. If it doesnt come out try a small amount of fine cut compund in liquid form. Apply a small amount on a 100% cotton polishing cloth.

If you really wan the ultra wax job look into Zaino www.zainobros.com I have used this since 1998. Get the stuff for clear coated cars as well as there spray detailing stuff. Follow there directions and you will love the shine. This stuff builds up and after 3 coats it looks fantastic.

One thing I might want to add here is watch what you wash your car with. First wash for me is dawn dish washing liquid in a bucket of warm water. This will strip any and all crap off your car. Do your clay bar thing and then go for the waxing. Top this ioff with spray ultra gloss. Allways use 100% cotton towels to dry your car and find some of those micro fiber towels for removing wax residue.

Only use dawn when you want to strip the wax or any film build up off your car. Dawn has the correct ph for your cars paint. For regular washing Zaino, Mcguires, and Turtle wax has decent washing soap that wont strip your wax off.

If you have swirl marks look into the Zaino swirl mark remover/wax a couple coats and no more swirl marks.

You cant lose with either Miguires or Zaino. Im currently trying the Turtle Wax Ice stuff to see how it holds up.

I will say this about the Ice stuff. It doesnt mess up any black stuff.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by DreamHHR
I wasn't aware of that. What does it say the fix is? 80 grit sandpaper?
I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want a dealership tech to take care of that. It's too much TLC.

I have the clay bar; maybe I'll try a couple of spots to see if it's effective. I'll have to wait a bit though, my wife is starting to get jalous.

Yves
A regular claybar will work where a liquid may fail. The embedded particles have been established as rail dust, I believe, from the shipping process, not manufacture....as said above had I read all posts before posting myself....doh.

Last edited by nfboy; 06-15-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: repeating what another member already said
Old 06-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
I checked, my son used the Meguires NXT . Nice shine, said it wasn't bad to work with. And he plans on using a claybar at least once a year, given our great climate here.
Just tried the NXT myself and works really good. Generally use the Gold Class and not sure but think it still may be better. Clay bar once a year is just about right. After waxing you won't believe how smooth your finish will be
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 PM

I have used Meguairs Gold Class since it was released and the old standard Meguiars in the maroon bottle for years before, but tried Meguairs NXT and gave my remining bottle of Gold Class to my son. I love it. I just came in from waxing the "Minister" for a show tomorrow and the finish is righteous. I do have to ask my dealer about clay bar over the paint treatment, because the finish is showing the signs of needing the bar...we will see...
Old 06-15-2007, 11:15 PM

I've used Zymol and Meguairs with great results. Just be sure you apply on a cool surface and you are out of the direct sunlight. I'm hoping to try out the Meguiars NXT that I won as a door prize at Cedar Point tomorrow. (Thanks again HillsdaleHHR!!)
If you need to polish some chrome, try Mothers.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Uma

Ice streaks really bad on my black HHR, in full sun or not.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Uma

Ok, you all are killing me!! I have Zymol..Love it. I use gold class..same, I use black magic, a little streaky, but good. ICE the same, a little streaky. Maguires cleaner wax..the old stand by always looks good. But now I hear about clay bar? What the heck is that? As you can see i have a black one, I wax at least once a week, but still have minute scratch marks, is clay bar going to take care of that? I know that once a week sounds excessive but I never wash my car, living in so cal, I dust it daily, and wax, let me hear about this clay bar stuff, thanks, todd (Uma)
Old 06-16-2007, 01:04 AM

I have used the ICE paste and liquid. The liquid seems greasy and I didn't like it. The paste works very well. I have a Black HHR and used it in the sun and it did a very good job. I still feel like the NXT paste lasts longer but alot of dust when removing. I try to use the NXT at night when the surface is cool. If I want to wax during the day I use the ICE. I would also recomend Car Brite's Crystal Shine and Laser Brite.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Uma
Ok, you all are killing me!! I have Zymol..Love it. I use gold class..same, I use black magic, a little streaky, but good. ICE the same, a little streaky. Maguires cleaner wax..the old stand by always looks good. But now I hear about clay bar? What the heck is that? As you can see i have a black one, I wax at least once a week, but still have minute scratch marks, is clay bar going to take care of that? I know that once a week sounds excessive but I never wash my car, living in so cal, I dust it daily, and wax, let me hear about this clay bar stuff, thanks, todd (Uma)
Clay Bar is exactly that. A Clay Bar. You use it to get little impurities out of your paint. The key is to use on a clean car. Make sure you keep the clay bar lubricated while using and wash again when finished. Be sure to wax!!! For the minute scratch marks you might try Meguiars ScratchX and then wax after. You will literally feel the difference on your paint when you slide a rag across it!!!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:40 AM

i use Turtle Wax liquid ice and i think it does a great job. Goes on easy...comes off easy