Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

06 Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:37 PM

06 Radio Question

I've seen several other posts that have helped hint me in the right direction, but I keep finding myself stuck between several questions. I know how to remove the stock radio, and I know to match up the wiring, but I haven't seen the answer to my following question:

I currently have a 2006 HHR LS that I recently purchased from a used lot, and the original stock radio in the vehicle has a short in it. I replaced both of the fuses for the radio, and it turns on/off intermittently, but the display never comes up. I have to press the power button and then the "BAND" button to get it to work, and that only works some of the time. I'd like to swap out this HU with another factory system, but want to know what I'd be looking at as far as equipment.

I know I'll need to have the device reprogrammed at the dealer, but my question is what do I absolutely need to have it upgraded from the base model (single CD, no XM or OnStar, etc.) to the 6-CD model with satellite-ready. I've read that I'll need sub/amp, as well as a wire harness, but do I absolutely need to upgrade the speakers and install a sub/amp to have that functionality? I'd just like to keep the stock radio look and have the additional functionality. I already have a previously-owned HU to install, but I need to know what else I'll need (if it's even possible!). Can you guys help?

THANKS! =) I'm new, and not an audio-guru, so please be gentle.