Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2006 HHR LT - Sound System weak - NOT fuses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM

Unhappy 2006 HHR LT - Sound System weak - NOT fuses?

Factory 2006 MP3CD sound system amplification failed last fall - seemed cold/humidity affected; though found at parts store fuses for amp and radio fine, often the problem for others. Anyone else have this problem, or can offer any suggestions? Is the amplification on-board for the player?

Last edited by Stormstudio; 03-30-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: more details
Old 03-30-2013, 09:52 PM

Do you hear the warning chimes? That would say front door speakers gone bad, from moisture.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:15 PM

the fact that I do not hear warning chimes OR seatbelt warnings if driving unbuckled says something for sure but not sure what, thank you for asking. Only tweeters. Seemed though both main speakers will fail & go quiet at the same time...
Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM

Will simply replacing all four door speakers fix this?
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stormstudio
Will simply replacing all four door speakers fix this?
Don't know, but it is a common failure. Water gets through the window molding and corrodes the coils. The tweeters are out of harms way on the pillar. All of the chimes and the turn signal clicks are produced by the radio and are heard on the left front door speaker.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:58 AM
Premium Member

Lol i disconnected the door chimes. So damn annoying its ridiulous.

Take door panels off. Inspect speakers

If you want me to make a how to vid, give me about 10-12 hours and ill post one. Its very easy.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:22 AM

When it can't be corrosion or bad speakers....

I've read so many posts already on this but no definitive answers to my problem. Yesterday morning ALL speakers stopped working except for the tweeters. (all was fine the night before) I have a 2010 LT with stock stereo. The turn signals' sounds play, as does the radio, but only in the front pillar tweeters. It can't be that all the other speakers went bad simultaneously. I have not yet had a chime work, seat belt, door ajar, etc., but maybe that sound doesn't have enough high frequencies to come through the tweeter? I live in SW FLA, not near the ocean, so major corrosion is not an issue here (like back in PA) and, especially, it can't be corrosion in 4 speakers simultaneously.

Another clue: the key fob doesn't work at all, even with new batteries. It used to be that when I'd unlock the door with the key, about every other time it would set off the alarm (insert key in ignition to stop). Now it never does...is this some sort of central computer control issue affecting the stereo/sound as well?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=hharrrr;758282]" I live in SW FLA, not near the ocean, so major corrosion is not an issue here (like back in PA) and, especially, it can't be corrosion in 4 speakers simultaneously."

You live in a rainy,damp, high humidity area. Sure, corrosion can be an issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Originally Posted by hharrrr
" I live in SW FLA, not near the ocean, so major corrosion is not an issue here (like back in PA) and, especially, it can't be corrosion in 4 speakers simultaneously."
You live in a rainy,damp, high humidity area. Sure, corrosion can be an issue.
Lol, I love that Floridians think, Hot and Moist =/=corrosion. Just because there's no salt crawling up in your car from the road, doesn't mean it can't be elsewhere...
Old 09-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Plain rainwater + electrical current equals corrosion. No need for salt, last I heard it rains at 5 P.M. in Fla.

Quick Reply: 2006 HHR LT - Sound System weak - NOT fuses?