Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

2009 us9 radio w/USB in a 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM

Question 2009 us9 radio w/USB in a 2008?

I had thought of a swap of head units to get the USB port into my 2008 LT2. I know I'd need the VIN number from the doner car and prob need to go to the dealer to have the BCM flashed to the radio: My ??? is on the GM wiring and plug configuration. Has anyone looked at the back of the radio or plug configurations on the "09 yet?
Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM

people on the forum have made the switch. You have to go into the dealer to have to reprogrammed. Could be anywhere from $80 and up to do that. But yeah, you can put a 09 in a 08
Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM

You have to get it programmed at the dealer? Dang.... I've switched radios so many times in the Lumina... Hope I never need to on the HHR. And I was considering it if I found a good deal on an '09.... Oh well.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM

$80 is nothing in the big picture.
I'd like a USB in mine and would be thrilled to pay $80 to get it right.
I like having 350+ cds on a few memory sticks on a loop.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:22 PM

not saying i wouldn't pay it. I have looked on ebay a few times for them. Just laying out the costs

Eric, it is because the factory radios have a theft deterrent thing in them. So when they are disconnected, they have to be hooked back up tot he same vehicle or reprogrammed, or they won't work. My radio from my Jimmy had this too. Locks it right up.

Also, for any thoughts on just getting a different HU, the wiring harness the HHR uses is ridiculously expensive. It is over $100. I have done new HU's in all of my previous cars, and it was cheap and easy to do, so I am glad I got the most upgraded radio I could at the time with the HHR. Don't want to go through all that other stuff. The only change I would make is to go to an 09.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM

THANK YOU TWSTERMAN!!! I Understand the cost of having a GM tech "flash the USED radio to the BCM" and I am cool with that. My concern is that the plugs in the back of the unit were the same... What do you think about pluging a XM module (bolted under the CELL-communications module in the rt-rear qtr panel ) and having them flash both at the same time? My opinion is that it may be harder to find a dealer who is "cool with it" even if you are paying $80.00/HR BUSTOUT retail for the service work! your thoughts ????
Old 07-20-2009, 08:07 PM

don't know on the XM. Mine came with it so i haven't looked any deeper into it. A lot of others have added XM etc, so hopefully they can chime in.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Cool

Glad someone else was thinking of this so I can piggy back on the question:

Just got back from the dealership asking them about swapping out the radio in my wifes 2007 HHR Premier Edition to the 2009 head unit.

Here's my question: I know the 2009 have bluetooth in them, but is that functionality housed in the head unit? I'm looking to get my wife hands free calling without putting a clunky bluetooth speaker in the car and would rather it come through the car speakers.

The dealership told me in order for the 2009 radio to be compatible your HHR has to have the feature code UPF. We printed out the features on my HHR and it doesn't have that. Does anyone know if that's correct?

He also said the 2009 radio was $465. That really wasn't as much as I was expecting considering the bluetooth speaker I was looking at is $120, plus I would have USB hook up for the iPhone.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by stangable
Glad someone else was thinking of this so I can piggy back on the question:

Just got back from the dealership asking them about swapping out the radio in my wifes 2007 HHR Premier Edition to the 2009 head unit.

Here's my question: I know the 2009 have bluetooth in them, but is that functionality housed in the head unit? I'm looking to get my wife hands free calling without putting a clunky bluetooth speaker in the car and would rather it come through the car speakers.

The dealership told me in order for the 2009 radio to be compatible your HHR has to have the feature code UPF. We printed out the features on my HHR and it doesn't have that. Does anyone know if that's correct?

He also said the 2009 radio was $465. That really wasn't as much as I was expecting considering the bluetooth speaker I was looking at is $120, plus I would have USB hook up for the iPhone.

Thanks for the help!
Bluetooth is controlled by the OnStar module not the radio.

Soon these USB radios will be on Ebay and other similar sites so I am waiting. My 07 LT radio was $470 from GM I bought for 1/4 of that on Ebay. The radio does require programming to your vehicle after installation. Of course my programming was free.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM

If you look at the overall cost you are better off getting an aftermarket stereo. Crutchfield has USB head units starting around $150. You might lose your steering wheel controls but you will get a remote

Quick Reply: 2009 us9 radio w/USB in a 2008?