Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

6.2" touch, GPS, DVD,.... Ordered today

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 PM

Its the same Metra kit I believe.

Dremmel with cutting wheel for straight cuts, and dremmel with rotozip bit for corners.
Its not perfect, but I think I can live with it. I think I'm OCD when comes to making things look factory as possible. I'm gonna wet sand the corners a bit more.

Name:  GPSinstallpic1.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  82.8 KB

Last edited by Kevin09HHRhappy; 01-22-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM

Spent the morning soldiering the PAC harness interface to the head unit wiring. Added the relay to the interface output like the instructions recommend.

Dremmel out an opening in the back of the dash for the harness and GPS antenna connector to clear. Decided it didn't look like much to take the top dash cover off so I could run the GPS ant and the Sirrus ant up next to the glass and have all wires hidden.
Took a bit to figure out how the air bag comes out so dash top could come off. Two 10mm hex hed nuts on bottom of air bag access through glove box. The air bag harness connector down behind the pass kick panel.

Dash cover is back on and both antenna are on each side of the photo cell. I decided to put the ipod connector in the glove box instead of the ontop dash storage, afraid of heat from direct sun in the summer. Working outside 35 degrees today, so didn't get to the rear view camera. I like the sound of the turn signals through the PAC interface much better than the factory turn signal sound. I have head unit and HVAC controls mounted and the Metra adaptor matches up great. Stereo sounds good, ipod control works great. I turned the GPS on and after first initial loading, it tells me to drive one mile. I'm thinking maybe its part of the calibration, so backed out of the drive and started down the road. It tells me again to drive one mile. I forget that exactly one mile from my house is turn onto next road. When I get there it tells me to turn right onto Unionville RD. Ok, this thing isn't calibrating, it has a destination. theres no traffic around so I sit at the stop sign and program my home location into memory. I go ahead and turn right knowing that in 200 yards is another road that takes me back to my house. As soon as I turn, press HOME and press ROUTE ME, and it proceeds to tell me to take the next right and guides me right back home. The womans voice is good, clear. The map is good. I've never had GPS before, so it all looks good to me. I guess I prolly will convert it to the IGO as mentioned on previous page of this thread.

When i turned the car on for the first time (after dark) and I noticed the screen didn't dim. Then I realized I didn't have trim around stereo on so dash dim control knob isn't hooked up, so no signal to ILLUMINATION feed into head unit. When the GPS accessed the SAT for the first time, the map changed from light to dard background. So with the clock not being set yet, I'm guessing the location of the vehicle tells the GPS program its dark outside. The stereo screen wasn't annoying at night with it not being dimmed, so once the dash dimming feed is hooked up, I think it will be perfect for me.

Tomorrow if weather allows, button up trim panels around head unit/hvac and shifter. Prolly wait for garage access to install rear view camera.

The store page of the seller showed the unit has selectable led colors and boot up symbol (chevy bowtie option) but I can't find this anywhere in the menu. The head unit buttons have blue back light and don't match the more green looking HHR dash back lighting. If the led colors matched, my OCD could cope better, lol.

Last edited by Kevin09HHRhappy; 01-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM

They are great units even at double the price. I got the Igo SW from bwhite (thanks again) and it is MUCH better then Sygic. The back up camera is cheap BUT works great! Even has the trapazoidal display for distance measurement. I guy in my office bought one after seeing mine and he loves it....couldn't believe it was less then $300.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:00 PM

Sounds like you never had one....they are actually very nice. Exceeded my expectations.

Originally Posted by Low-n-Loud
How much did you pay for that unit? I wouldnt be a bit surprised if the gps wasn't thr only thing that crashes with that unit. Honestly, they are junk. You really don't know what you are gonna get with those.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:34 PM

Name:  P1000566.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  P1000567.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  84.5 KB

Name:  P1000570.jpg
Views: 1821
Size:  97.7 KB

The antenna are stuck down with a couple pieces of 3M body side moulding tape.

Name:  P1000572.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  85.5 KB
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Awesome job on that install. Looks as near to factory as I think you can get with an aftermarket unit.

Thumbs up from me.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Any regrets?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 PM

How much total for parts?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by nacademus
Any regrets?
The credit card statement. And not having enough money left to order the steering
wheel radio controls.

Originally Posted by charlieree
How much total for parts?
Head unit was $249 shipped and it came with all the cables for ipod control, usb, GPS antenna, also came with rear view camera and its wiring.

Metra HHR dash mount adaptor was $13 shipped on ebay.

PAC wire harness interface was $65 plus shipping on Amazon (they still haven't refunded overnight shipping charge, it didn't show up for 4 days.) I don't have onstar, if retaining onstar, then its a $89 interface.

FM antenna adaptor was $28 local stereo shop. I could have gotten it for $10 if I'd ordered it with the interface or the dash kit. I had one from 90's model GM and hoped it was same, but the HHR stereo uses FM antenna adaptor for Chyrsler.

Dremmel for back of dash to make room/access for wires/cables. Also dremmel Metra 2din stereo adaptor cause either the adaptor or the stereo isn't 2 din. The stereo is bigger than the opening in the Metra adaptor. Soldier and wrap all electrical and speaker connections, added relay per PAC wire harness interface instructions.

I need to pull stereo back out again. Didn't know HHR had amplified FM antenna. I didn't hook up the power ant feed wire between the stereo and the interface. When I had the stereo in the house on 12V power supply, when appyling 12v to the ILLUMINATION wire, the display dimmed. I connected this wire to the output wire on the interface label ILLUMINATION. Noticed last night that it doesn't dim with dash lights on. So gonna unhook the wire from the interface and hook it to parking light or similar feed. I should say, either it didn't dim or its in dim mode all the time in which case I'll have trouble seeing it in bright sun. Maybe ILLUMINATION wire from the interface supplies power to light up display and nothing to do with dim control, IDK.

Last edited by Kevin09HHRhappy; 01-27-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM

Awesome job! Where do you feed power for the ant? Is there an amp somewhere? 12v ?

Quick Reply: 6.2" touch, GPS, DVD,.... Ordered today