Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

add an xm antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 PM

add an xm antenna

anyone have any tips on how I should add an XM antenna to my 06 LS?

I'm thinking I want to mount it right behind the stock antenna but I'm not sure what is involced in getting under the headliner and routing the wire down under the dash.

any thoughts?

I have an XM Roady Xt that I am going to be mounting "somewhere" and I want it to be permanent and clean. so the antenna is the first step...

thanks,

Dave
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM

I've got mine through the headliner and at the back on the roof.... wire comes out of the seam for the lift gate and really isn't noticable. It goes up the driver side a-pillar, through the headliner and pokes out at the center at the rear. Tacked it down with a dob of silicone so carwashes etc don't move it and scratch the hell out of the roof like it did on my last car. :)

Comes off easy enough when you want it to, but doesn't slide around when you don't.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:47 PM

any tips on routing it under the headliner? how easy is it to get it throught there or what needs to come off?

thx,

Dave
Old 12-18-2007, 07:03 PM

I had to pull the trim down in the back at the hatch, but everywhere else was just tucked in the side. I have portable reciever in the cup holder and had plenty of length to go from the back to front, down the a-pillar, under the dash, and then along the console. Stock Delphi antenna that came with the portable tuner and all just tucked in the edges.

Piece of cake really.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 PM

xm install

Well my grand idea of doing the XM Antenna install myself went south..

I spent about two hours trying to get enough access to the stock radio antenna with no luck. Because it has another level of sheet metal between the roof and only a small access hole, I think the entire headliner would have to be removed to get to it. At least I couldn't figure out another way.

Found a local audio shop that gave me a pretty decent price for doing the install.

I still need to figure out if there is a way to have the power to the XM work the same as the radio so it stays on with the key off until the driver door is opened.

Right now I used an add a fuse and have it on #21.

If anyone knows where to better connect it let me know.

I'll upload a pic later, the Roady XT head unit is mounted inside the dash glove box. I have to open it to change stations but it is out of sight and clean..

Dave
Old 12-23-2007, 05:38 AM

I just put my antenna on the dash (with a little nonslip pad), right in front of the auto light sensor (the little dome thingie). I then run the wire behind the dash, to the left side of the dash by the door opening, under the steering wheel, and finally out to the right by the steering wheel for easy connect and disconnect. No messing around with the trim or headliner (I have sunroof).

I did not put it in the top glove box since I want to see the display. However, you can get one of those remotes from the home kit and it will work like a charm without having to open the lid (I think).
Old 12-23-2007, 08:50 AM

I tried the dash trick but still lost signal in some vehicle orientations. Wound putting it on the roof, right in the passenger front corner. Then followed the windshield/dash like 1BP to the center storage.

See the pic in my gallery, I can still see the display ok, but use the remote 'cause of how far away it is. (Got old eyes, so the further away the better!)
Old 12-23-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by doeppel
Well my grand idea of doing the XM Antenna install myself went south..

I spent about two hours trying to get enough access to the stock radio antenna with no luck. Because it has another level of sheet metal between the roof and only a small access hole, I think the entire headliner would have to be removed to get to it. At least I couldn't figure out another way.

Found a local audio shop that gave me a pretty decent price for doing the install.

I still need to figure out if there is a way to have the power to the XM work the same as the radio so it stays on with the key off until the driver door is opened.

Right now I used an add a fuse and have it on #21.

If anyone knows where to better connect it let me know.

I'll upload a pic later, the Roady XT head unit is mounted inside the dash glove box. I have to open it to change stations but it is out of sight and clean..

Dave
Where/how did you run the power wire?