Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Aftermarket Radio Adapter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Question Aftermarket Radio Adapter???

I know this has probably been covered before but here goes......What adapter can I "Get away with?" I have the 08 w/amplified stereo which requires the Axxess GMOS-LAN-04 ($175 whew). I want to maybe put an aftermarket stereo in but here is the catch......Can I use the cheaper Axxess GMOS-LAN-03 for non-amplified cars ($129 still expensive but a tad better) if I am using my own aftermarket amps. In other words since I don't really want to integrate into the factory amplifier do I really have to get the expensive adapter or will the cheaper one work for me? One thing is I tapped into factory wiring back at the amplifier but with an aftermarket radio I would just run some RCA's to the back so it seems it wouldn't matter??? Lastly, any sucess maintaining the steering wheel controls on these? Is it more stereo specific or would I have to loose those? Thanks for your help with this
Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 PM

I have the GMOS-Lan-04 and a steering wheel control adapter I've been looking to sell. I don't have the packaging anymore but they were never used. I was going to install an older head unit I had in my previous car, but turns out it was dead.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:39 PM

I too am wondering about the differences between the lan03 and lan04 harnesses. However I am looking to go the other way, use the lan04 with a car that came with a non-amplified system, but I want to add an amp. It looks to me like the lan04 hooks to the head unit using rca connectors. Since it is supposed to go to the GM amp, Im hoping it will do the same with an aftermarket amp.
It looks like the lan03 is more complicated to connect to an aftermarket amp, and requires a small speaker for the chimes.

gmos-lan-03 instructions
gmos-lan-04 instructions
Old 11-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Lars on Live I sent you a PM. prod.....as far as I can tell they only difference is that the lan-04 seems to just include some nice RCA's that go back to the amp through your factory wiring. Maybe it has something to do with how the chimes and onstar work between amplified and non-amplified systems? All I know is GM certianly stuck it to us this time making aftermarket integration near impossible! Lol! Why? Just let us do what we want. Dang! Remember when they started separating the tape decks from the stereos and made it hard back in the 90's......What is thier issue with the aftermarket anyways? haha
Old 11-29-2009, 06:25 PM

I picked up the Axxess one from Buy.com for $107 if I remember correctly. I have not installed it yet, but the instructions are the same as the Metra piece, so I am guessing they are both made with the same parts? I am only planning initially to run a sub amp, and seeing how the factory Pioneer amp powers my Boston Acoustics speakers since they are reasonably efficient speakers. Also my Head unit has both a LPF and a HPF so I can cut the bass going to the main speakers. If this does not sound that great, since the GMOS LAN04 already has the RCA's built into it, rather than run new RCA's, just tap into the factory wiring harness at the amp, using something like the JL audio RCA's with the bare wire on one end of the cable. Then just run the speaker wires from the aftermarket amp and once again tap into the speaker wires at the factory amp. This will allow you to still retain the factory door chime without having to add a speaker just for the door chimes. I've spent the past few weeks trying to research this as much as possible prior to running into any issues, but am now hesitant due to all the issues I have been reading regarding the BCM issues people have had.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 PM

GMOS-LAN-04 and Steering Wheel Controls..

Does anyone happen to know which wire out of the GMOS-Lan-04 has the info of the steering wheel control?

I have a carputer and a special hardware (joycon EX) that can read the resistance differences then change those to Keyboard commands to control the computer (via USB to the computer)

I was hoping the GMOS-Lan-04 would pass this info along since it plugged into the standard radio harness.

I did remove my Head Unit and used the adapter to get power for a 7" touch screen.

Thanks,

Roger