Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Am I getting old maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:38 AM

Interesting discovery

Well, I went in search of a different sub to try in the HHR.

Buddy had a old rockford punch 10 inch in a sealed box. Put it in and hooked it up and same result. He got to looking at the amp and such and asked why I was using an old low pass coil to the sub? And suggested that perhaps the amp was too powerful for the old 8 inch tube and since the tube is dvc try hooking it up in stereo to the individual coils WITHOUT my ancient low pass coil. LOL.

End result was wonderful. The sound is much better without the coil in line and with the amp running in stereo. Not sure if the coil was old/faulty or the amp was too much power bridged or a combination. Just thought I would share my findings, sometimes you never know with old equipment.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dr_fosg8
Well, I went in search of a different sub to try in the HHR.

Buddy had a old rockford punch 10 inch in a sealed box. Put it in and hooked it up and same result. He got to looking at the amp and such and asked why I was using an old low pass coil to the sub? And suggested that perhaps the amp was too powerful for the old 8 inch tube and since the tube is dvc try hooking it up in stereo to the individual coils WITHOUT my ancient low pass coil. LOL.

End result was wonderful. The sound is much better without the coil in line and with the amp running in stereo. Not sure if the coil was old/faulty or the amp was too much power bridged or a combination. Just thought I would share my findings, sometimes you never know with old equipment.
You have the amp wired in stereo to the dual voice coils ?
One voice coil on the left channel and the other voice coil on the right channel on the same sub ?
Old 09-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MsBecky
You have the amp wired in stereo to the dual voice coils ?
One voice coil on the left channel and the other voice coil on the right channel on the same sub ?
Yes, is it unusual or harmful to the equipment to wire it that way?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by dr_fosg8
Yes, is it unusual or harmful to the equipment to wire it that way?
You are sending a left stereo signal to one .
You are sending a right stereo signal to the other .
Left and right stereo channels do not send the same signal at the same time . Your cone could be in recoil on the left channel and the right channel be in excursion . You only getting half of the cones` travel on a note .
That would be called cancelation . Also it could possibly give the amp some internal issues .
The idea is to use this type of amp/sub combo in mono . Bridge the amp and wire the speaker either in series or parallel .. series increase resistance , parallel will lower it .
8 ohm = dual 4 ohm coils wire series
2 ohm = dual 4 ohm coils wired parallel

You get the idea