Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amateur radio (ham radio) installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM

no pics yet and the install aint all that pretty anyway, sure could have used an extra set of hands while using the dremel. I finally installed the radio in the pocket under the stereo, and had a heck of a time finding a good ground under the dash near the fuse panel, finally had to run the ground over to the driver side to get a good grounding point. finally got it all in and now it's not working, so I need to do some trouble shooting on the antenna system as I am not receiving anything not even the weather radio. oh well gotta love projects.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

ok here are some pics, it's still a work in progress and still needs some work to make it pretty and all that but this is where I am so far.

Name:  hamradioinstall.jpg
Views: 3967
Size:  28.8 KB

and here is the antenna install

Name:  antennainstall.jpg
Views: 3215
Size:  23.9 KB

the antenna is over kill for local work but it gives better range when traveling. oh the problem I had not receiving anything turned out to be a short in the new antenna coax that came with the mount I just bought.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:54 PM

OK so I now have the 857D and still trying to figure out a HF antenna and mount. Antenna will probably be a High Sierra Sidekick. Mount is still a question but leaning real heavily on the MFJ 336T Triple mag mount. Mounting the radios, 857D AND a FT 8800R will also be A CHALLENGE. Have been looking at the "BUG" by Lidomounts as a possible solution to mounting both radio heads in the center of the dash just below the upper storage bin and between the AC vents. This is where I currently have the FT 8800.
So any other ideas/suggestions??
Sarge
Old 05-20-2009, 05:26 PM

I have been looking at the 857 myself, I was just looking at a website as I was unfamiliar with the antenna you mentioned, they had numerous pics of that antenna installed on differnet vehicles, some use mag mounts, some used lip mounts, some had it mounted to roof rack, if you have one that may be an option, as far as mounting the radio, I was brainstorming how I would do that too, since the 857 has 2 meter I could take out my current radio and mount the 857 control head there and just have one radio in the car. as far as the lido mount, I just read some negative feedback on them, you may want to google it.....

Last edited by FlaHHROwner; 05-20-2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add more
Old 05-20-2009, 05:42 PM

FlaHHR there is one problem with removing your current 2m rig that I have considered and this is why I will leave both radios. With the 857D yes all bands are available, BUT you cannot monitor HF and 2m at the same time, it's one or the other. This is why I'll leave my 8800 in the car with the 857, so I can monitor both. Just something to consider!
And check out the eham reviews on the Sidekick, it gets REAL high marks by folks that actually use the antenna.
73's
Sarge
Old 05-22-2009, 01:57 PM

I guess that would be a good reason to leave it in and have both radios, but that leaves the delima of where to mount the second radio. as far as putting a side kick antenna on the roof with a mag mount, that would really look funny going down the road. my dual band antenna on the back hatch looks strange enough and even though its not that high overall it still seems to hit some things around where I live. I have thought about going a head and drilling the roof and mounting a shorter dual band antenna there and if I do get a mobile HF rig then figure out a way to mount that antenna on the back somewhere....

Last edited by FlaHHROwner; 05-22-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-22-2009, 04:40 PM

Here is the mount I'm looking at, http://www.lidomounts.com/catalog/it...816/936041.htm If I'm looking correctly should be able to use one of the head mounts in the bottom set of screw holes, the top holes in the head mount and the other head mount, bottom set of screw holes into the top screw holes in the Lido mount, Did that make sense??
BTW just out of curiosity do you know N4CDB, Cary there in Jack?? He and I have communicated via e-mail on various assorted subjects, he has been a GREAT help with some radio related problems! I'll be at Disney World starting the 30th but will only have a 2m/440 HT with me so not much chance of talking around much of the state, flying in so can't bring my HF gear with me, they'd charge me for the 2nd suitcase. anyway...
Sarge
Old 05-23-2009, 01:15 PM

can't say that I have ever talked to him, but them right now all I work is 2m and most of the repeaters around here are very under used. I was off the air for several years but have just started talking again since I got my radio fixed. I have started playing around some with ecolink and there is a repeater there at disney that is on ecolink if I remember correctly. edit... ok I just checked ecolink, I must have been imagining things as I don't see one now unless it is just offline, I have 2 in my favorites that are off line so I don't know where they are located.

Last edited by FlaHHROwner; 05-23-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: add more
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 AM

Ok, for those ham enthusiasts that are looking for a comfortable spot to mount a radio and decent space to hide direct connect wires to the battery, here is my idea. Now my disclaimer to this is that you can not mind the fact that you will have to drill or screw into the lower dash. I mounted my Yaesu FT-2600M on the under dash on the left side by the door, and the mic mount right below the air vent on the left, by the door. I originally thought there was not going to be enough leg clearance, but I was gratefully wrong. To hide the wires, I ran them up through the underdash, after having taped it all together, and then behind the radio area, under the floor lining of the passenger's area, through the middle of the back seat, under the spare tire and then hard wired directly to the battery. I will add pics of the install once I get it looking pretty again. I also am looking for ideas on the best long range 2m antenna, as my rig will pick up my VFD.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:59 PM

check the thread on GPS location in this section to see a pic of my updated install

Quick Reply: Amateur radio (ham radio) installation