Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amateur radio (ham radio) installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 03:42 PM

I hated to thread jack the GPS location thread, so I will ask here where it is more appropriate.
Can anyone tell me if there is a single HAM unit that will also include the CB band? If so, what make, and suggestions on places to buy.
I know I need a license, but want to see what is available before I consider doing this.
On a long shot, would also be interested in including the VHF band on the same unit....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Possible HAM, CB or Cellular Antenna Mounting

Here is how I mounted my GPS antenna; it is directly above the front overhead interior light allowing easy cabling access. A short fish to the A-Pillar, remove A-Pillar trim for easier access and the plastic cover at the end of the dash and the cable is routed.

A move 6 inches to the aft is roof bracing that would allow a bit more strength and a standard ¾” hole for a vertical antenna. Drill from the outside, insert between roof and headliner the ¾” threaded/molded cable assembly, attach antenna, adjust SWR and enjoy.

Possibly investigate the rear passenger interior light area as well for a support.

If you’re worried about drilling into the headliner pick up one of these ¾” drills or similar. It limits the depth of cut. Don’t ask me where I got it, its been 15 years ago when I was doing cellular installs.

Now for those people who have some emotional bond with their vehicle and don’t like drilling holes: My vehicle is nothing but an inanimate object, a collection of metal and plastic in a form that provides some usefulness. Don’t believe me; hit it with your fist, it will not scream out in pain.

If you’re worried about resale put something like my GPS antenna on the hole when selling it. Say it is GPS ready!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
I hated to thread jack the GPS location thread, so I will ask here where it is more appropriate.
Can anyone tell me if there is a single HAM unit that will also include the CB band? If so, what make, and suggestions on places to buy.
I know I need a license, but want to see what is available before I consider doing this.
On a long shot, would also be interested in including the VHF band on the same unit....
I'm very new to HAM myself, but I "believe" the FT-857D mentioned earlier will handle both. Looks to be quite a capable radio - very expensive. I contacted the manufacturer sometime ago to see if I could use just one radio for HAM and AM/FM and they directed me to this radio. The use was in a 4X4 vehicle and I did not need great fidelity.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM

I don't know if the 857 will work on the CB band, I think it may receive it but it may be blocked on the transmit side. I was at a CB shop today and they had radios that had the CB frequencies as well as the 10 meter ham band. they were not cheap though.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:07 PM

Galaxy DX33HP..... 10 meter/ cb
Old 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM

FT857D Install

I just got the HHR last week and ordered an FT857D for it yesterday. We have one in the wife'sd PT Cruiser and it was a simple and trick install. THe HHR looks harder but here's my thought. I might put the head on the ceiling just abouve the rear view mirror. Easy to get to, easy to see without taking your eyes too far off the road. THe Lido Bug looks pretty useful however and I may check it out before drilling in the headliner, unless I just fall in love with the head on the headliner when I try it there.

Jim N5VL
Old 01-17-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Trinitystudio
We have one in the wife'sd PT Cruiser ...

Jim N5VL
Since you already have one of these FT-857D's could you tell us if you can transmit on the CB frequencies?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM

No the 857 will not transmit on CB. If you could open it up so it would, it is not type accepted for CB so it would be illegal to use there.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 PM

I just got the HHR last week and ordered an FT857D for it yesterday. We have one in the wife'sd PT Cruiser and it was a simple and trick install. THe HHR looks harder but here's my thought. I might put the head on the ceiling just abouve the rear view mirror. Easy to get to, easy to see without taking your eyes too far off the road. THe Lido Bug looks pretty useful however and I may check it out before drilling in the headliner, unless I just fall in love with the head on the headliner when I try it there.

Jim N5VL
the only thing I would not like about putting the control head there is the mic cord hanging down all the time, but thats just me, but it is an option
Old 01-18-2010, 03:14 PM

No the 857 will not transmit on CB. If you could open it up so it would, it is not type accepted for CB so it would be illegal to use there.
Thanks for the reply as to the stock(as built) restriction of the FT-857D. It seems from the MARS mod, CB can indeed be opened up.

I guess the only reason it wasn't allowed by "type" certification is the 857 can put out more power than CB Transmissions allow.

The manual I downloaded does not say the actual frequencies the unit transmits on, only the general bands.

Quick Reply: Amateur radio (ham radio) installation