Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Amp/Sub Install Power Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:49 PM

Amp/Sub Install Power Problem

Hey guys! I hope you can help me with my stereo problem.

I'm in the process of having my new sub & amp system installed in the HHR. I want to keep the factory head uint for now to have a stealth stereo system.

I've got a Kicker 12" Solobaric sub box in the back with a cap and Rockford Fosgate amp. I've got the amp's remote bass control (came with the amp) wired and mounted in the little rectangular storage cutout in front of the rear cupholder on the center console.

A couple of my buddies and my brother hooked it all up tonight. We tested it using the aux/battery power in the driveway without turning the car on. Man, did it sound great!

So I jump in the HHR to drive home and when I turned the car on and started driving home, I got nothing. The factory sub and amp play fine, I'm just not getting anything from my Kicker/Fosgate. When I parked at home I tested again using aux/battery but this time there still was nothing.

What are we missing here?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 AM

without seeing things, my first inclination is a fuse. Where did you grab the switched power and unswitched power from, and where did you ground the amp to? What did you tap into for the input to the fosgate amp? I'm assuming you are running speaker-level inputs to the amp, does the fosgate have it's own LOC, or are you running a seperate LOC (Line Out Converter)

I'd first check the fuses on both power wires going to the amp, the switched power is usually a small amp fuse as it's just the trigger, the unswitched should be a 15-20A fuse (if not more) depending on the amp. Some amps have their own fuses in them, but may or may not be user replaceable depending on the amp, but your in-lines should pop first anyways. Lastly maybe check the fuse of the circuit that you tapped into for the switched source.

Of course these only need to be checked if it appears the amp isn't getting power (should be some kind of indicator lamp)
Old 07-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the line output converter got fried when the car was turned on. I bought an adjustable one and got it hooked up as a replacement. We just finished it off tonight. Man does the system pound! I'll hopefully post pics of my system soon.

Thanks again. Cheers!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by jbbadboy
It turns out that the line output converter got fried when the car was turned on. I bought an adjustable one and got it hooked up as a replacement.
Those line output converters can only take so many watts. Hopefully it doesn't get fried again.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:08 PM

Glad you figured it out!
Old 08-05-2007, 02:35 PM

does any one know which wire is the AAC on the factory HU
Old 08-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Welcome and what do you mean AAC? You might wanna check this link out HHR Audio Connectors It is saved as one of my favorites, never know when you need it. And again Welcome

Last edited by shaginwgn; 08-05-2007 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Bad Link