Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Another speaker issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Another speaker issue

Hi all. I now am having speaker isues in my 08 panel. As with most threads I have read the driver side front door speaker has stopped working. I noticed it working intermittenly and now not at all. Also like others have posted I noticed first the seatbelt, ign. key and seat belt warnings worked intermittently. Now barely audible. Sounds like I need to check/change the speakers but I have questions.

With the aftermarket speakers do you leave the pillar tweeters hooked up?
With the replacement of the speakers do all of the warnings chimes come back? I happen to not mind the chime and actually find them helpful at times, wierd huh.

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM
Premium Member

I replaced the stock speakers with MBQuart component in the front and a coaxial in the rear, they all fit behind the stock grille. So till you turn it on, cant tell by looking. They sound fabulous, clean would be the word I'm looking for. I picked the one step better than these, but you get the idea.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ED5I4W?tag=ustal-20
Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I am not an audiophile by any means and know really nothing about audio quipment. I just like everything to sound like it should and all components to work. Looks like Amazon no longer has these in stock but I am sure they can be located elsewhere.
Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

MB Quart sell for so little on the net that the stereo shops don't use them any more due to the lack of mark up. I got my front setup from the stereo shop for 90.00 instead of 180.00. You might call a couple places near you they might have some on the shelf too.Worth a couple calls to see.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:27 PM

About the only thing to note is the front speakers in your HHR are 4 ohm and the ones in the rear are 8 ohm.

Now with that said I ran a pair of 8 ohm speakers in my front doors for a month or better before I had problems with the back speakers. When that happened I bought a pair of Wal-Mart’s cheapest 4 ohm speakers and swapped the front ones with the new ones.

So I have 4 ohm in front and 8 ohm in the back now.

The 8 ohm set have a tiny little tweeter and a small midrange along with the bigger cone so they are triaxial speakers and yes I left the tweeters in the pillars hooked up.

The hole your factory speakers goes into is a bit odd shaped so I made some mounts out of that half inch plastic stock I also made my router table top out of. You can use almost anything you can work with from plywood to particle board. I used the plastic because it was handy for me since I had some on hand, particle board would really be a terrible choice because once it gets all you have left is the particles and no board.

The ones that were in the HHR are now in homebuilt enclosures in my garage and are lashed up to an old clarion stereo and oddly enough work fine now. I dosed the frogs in them a good one with WD-40