Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Antennas ?? Which is Which

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM

Antennas ?? Which is Which

I thought I knew it all but now Im' confused.

I took my front antenna off the other day to check for wind noise and I could not tell any difference in reception on AM or FM.
I then went to my owners manual to check it out and it does not specify anywhere I could find which antenna is which.

On my 2LT I have the ugly front and the rear antenna.
Plus it looks to me that there is an antenna molded into the front windshield.

So ... we have AM ...FM ...and On Star.

I could call Chevrolet but I thought I would bring this subject to the Forum to clear the mystery up.

Anybody know for Sure whats what ??

SF
Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Deceased

Forward antenna - AM/FM receiver.

Rear antenna - XM radio(if equipped), and OnStar.

If you're in an urban area with good coverage, the forward antenna can be replaced with a "stubby" accessory antenna as the signal strength will compensate for a shorter mast. And you can run without it as you found out.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Thanks Mike,

Whats the front winshield dots in a pattern I'm seeing.

They go up on both sides and across the top with a big drop down behind the rear view mirror.

My 2005 Chevy Venture Van had no external metal antennas but the front windshield looked a lot like this one. ?????
Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Deceased

Those dots are a paint mask that's intended to block the sun from shining in through the gap between the sun visors. It's supposed to make up for the old style blue tint strip across the top of the glass.

Safelite offers HHR windshields with the tint strip, and if you ever need to replace your glass, I can't recommend it highly enough...it makes a world of difference.

I remember the old GM integral windshield antennas, they sure made for clean designs, but manufacturing expenses and poor reception in fringe areas did them in.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Those dots are a paint mask that's intended to block the sun from shining in through the gap between the sun visors. It's supposed to make up for the old style blue tint strip across the top of the glass.

Safelite offers HHR windshields with the tint strip, and if you ever need to replace your glass, I can't recommend it highly enough...it makes a world of difference.

I remember the old GM integral windshield antennas, they sure made for clean designs, but manufacturing expenses and poor reception in fringe areas did them in.
Thanks,

I thought I had ya on that one .. I shoulda known better.

I'll make a mental note on Safelite.
These near straight up windshieds are a magnet for rock damage.
I have had 2 hits in exactly the same place ??? I thought I was dreaming.
They happened so close together that I hadn't gotten to the shop to have the first one repaired when I got the second .. a larger hit on the drivers side right at the bottom margin. They repaired it but said it was borderline and could still possibly spread to the edge.
It seems like the HHR wind flow might take the small objects to that exact area. Otherwise what are the chances of that happening and in such a short time frame.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 AM

The rear antenna style can be a quick indicator as to what your car cam with from the factory. If it is flat it has/had XM only. If it has a fin on top of it it has both XM and OnStar.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
The rear antenna style can be a quick indicator as to what your car cam with from the factory. If it is flat it has/had XM only. If it has a fin on top of it it has both XM and OnStar.
I have Onstar but no XM, but am looking for the U2K option at the local junkyard. This is my antenna, I'm assuming a piece is missing?

Name:  antenna.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  39.3 KB
Old 11-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

You're missing the "shark fin" part.

Attachment 15395

Last edited by firemangeorge; 05-30-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Thanks,

I thought I had ya on that one .. I shoulda known better.

I'll make a mental note on Safelite.
These near straight up windshieds are a magnet for rock damage.
I have had 2 hits in exactly the same place ??? I thought I was dreaming.
They happened so close together that I hadn't gotten to the shop to have the first one repaired when I got the second .. a larger hit on the drivers side right at the bottom margin. They repaired it but said it was borderline and could still possibly spread to the edge.
It seems like the HHR wind flow might take the small objects to that exact area. Otherwise what are the chances of that happening and in such a short time frame.
The Chinese (YUV, I think) windshield I just got had the option for wit or witout (cheesesteak lingo). I got the wit, the dots are still there and I can barely tell it's tinted. I don't care about brands, just so they waive my $100 deductible because I get a new one every year.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by dblwall
I have Onstar but no XM, but am looking for the U2K option at the local junkyard. This is my antenna, I'm assuming a piece is missing?

You need GM pn 10335503

That's the twist on "shark fin" portion of the antenna, GM list price is $28.08, but a quick Google search of that part number will net you one in the $15-$18 range.