Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Antennas and GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 10:43 PM

Antennas and GPS

I need some help in developing some mods.

Which antenna is used by the GPS system and where is the GPS system located within the vehicle? I run a Laptop computer in my other vehicles with a data feed from a portable Garmin GPS Unit. Since the HHR has a built in GPS is there anyway to break out the raw data from the onboard GPS. This would eliminate the exposed mounting of a GPS unit. Oh, and also be fun to set up.

The long antenna next to the windshield, I imagine is for the AM/FM radio and perhaps the Cellular service that OnStar uses to communicate. The small antenna near the rear hatch I was told by the salesman is the MX Radio antenna.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Usually if the car has xm and OnStar, they both use the rear antenna. It's just more of a fin with OnStar. Not sure about the GPS but I'd guess whichever the OnStar uses.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:45 PM

my guess would also be the rear antenna for GPS.. that is if it uses gps i guess? i would assume "onstar" is a type of gps system .. i dunno. good luck
Old 12-25-2008, 12:32 PM

Welcome from the OC.

I believe having OnStar is what you would use as the "GPS" rather then having to actually purchase a machine. Although I think you have to pay extra for turn-by-turn directions???

Since you didn't say what year/model, the assumption is you have at least an '08 as they have XM & OnStar as standard options (the little black chingas thingy on the back is for both). The 'fishing pole' up front is for the radio (I replaced mine with a stubby).

If you have an '09, some have a USB port and perhaps that is where you can plug in the laptop??

What do I know?!
I have an '07 and could have used OnStar GPS!
I get lost in my own 'hood.
Have the PAL (and love it)--so don't listen to the radio much.

Welcome to the HHR familia.

@
Old 12-25-2008, 01:14 PM

i like the way you think.

i think you may be on to something. i wish i could help. seems like you could just have a pop out dvd in a radio that would display gps also. i've been shopping for one , but no luck yet. they do make them , but the ones i have found were to pricey for me. i am also looking if someone can share software for tuning. they charge way too much for tuning also. the same goes for onstar - it costs to much per month -when all you get is text directions-no video. it may void warranty , if you fiddle with too many wires. i am pretty sure it is the one on the rear for xm. my 08 has both xm / onstar , i use niether. i have fta sat at home -all free payperview , i share files , i paid for my equip , just like i paid for my hhr , that should be enough. actors/musicians/athletes are over paid. maybe i'll get free gps when they start putting advertising on them.