Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Audio help

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 AM

Thumbs up Audio help

Hmm.. trying to determine my best installation options for my audio but need to get an opinion.

Got a 2010 1LT I believe with basic stereo it appears, definitely no subwoofer or XM or any fancy hoopla. I have obtained a subwoofer from an '06 with box that I'm going to install, I have a pair of Alpine S-series coax I want in the rear doors, and a PowerAccoustic BAMF series 1200/4 amp.

I'm thinking if I get the afor mentioned PAC AOEM-GM1416a GM Add an Amplifier Adapter I should be able to avoid extensive mods and just install that and run wiring. What I need to know, which I have been unable to determine, is is this the proper adapter for my HU? VIN lookups for me are.. lacking. Lil help please?
Old 05-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Depending on how much power your pushing ?1200? Watts? You may want to step up the guage on the wiring to 10 for the sub for sure. On the plus note, you don't need much to go from the battery to the amp.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM

I just picked up an amp kit from BestBuy and have 8 awg supply cable for the power. Determined the amp is going under the passenger seat. True on the battery, it's right there in back easy access.

So, my concept now is I'm gonna get that PAC part and install it, run the feed to the amp from that, and if I don't have enough hookups included there I'll just install this little line converter I also picked up and splice that for the front amp system when I get it installed. I'm going to end up running the rear speakers and sub off the BAMF which should work out just fine.

The S series coax I have RMS at 80w and according to the info on the amp it'll push a max of 100w per to 4 ohms, which these are. So I got some room for improvement later on hehe. Any idea how much power the OEM sub will handle? It's a 2 ohm dual voice coil and my amp will do about 125w per like that.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Lil update, and change.

Final components FYI:

Alpine SPS-600 Coax -Rear doors
Alpine SPS-610 Components - Front doors
PowerAccoustik 1200/4 to feed these from under front passenger seat

As of right now OEM sub/box from '06 HHR fed by Polk Audio PA 330 amp from spare wheel well next to the battery. Thinkin to upgrade the sub to the Kicker CVT8 8" sub.

Still lookin like I'll be installing the PAC adapter for the front amp however the PA amp is switchable by its speaker level input feed, so no additional hardware for THAT.

Just a matter of tearin out the interior to run the power and audio cabling. Going to splice into the existing door speaker wiring for the amp feed to those speakers. Keeping the stock tweeters and adding the component tweets from the SPS-610 to the rear channel speaker feed from the stock HU and installing those in the back end. Sub input to the PA is also going to be from this line.

All in all it's going to be around 500 watts of power. Quite sufficient for my needs.

Any suggestions or comments welcome!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:04 PM

FYI if you're going to be routing any speaker/amp wiring to the back, use the passenger side channels. The battery's + cable runs down the driver's side channel to the underhood fuse box and may give you interference later on. You might wind up with alternator whine.

Later
Allex
Old 06-03-2011, 12:26 AM

Hmm.. noted. Definitely don't want any whining. Annoying! From the looks of the minor tear out I did it seems I might be able to run some wiring down the center under the rear seat.. I think that would involve a great deal of tear down to accomplish however. Where would you say is the best location to tap the rear speaker line at? I was thinking at the center pylons where the doors attach and route to the passenger side for the sub amp since the signal is going to be reduced to pre-amp line level by the amp itself?