Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Audio/Video Suggestions (Help Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:26 PM

Audio/Video Suggestions (Help Please!)

Hi all! I own a 2010 HHR and I am looking to remove my factory stereo and get a video unit. I saw that some of you on here did a beautiful job installing your new units and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

I am extremely interested in purchasing the Pioneer AVH-X2500BT , on crutchfield's website it says that it does not fit the HHR. Several units that I am interested in getting apparently don't fit the veichle.

I was going to purchase the Pioneer unit, along w. this double din & hope for the best.
Amazon.com: Metra 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 1990-Up GM Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 95-2001 Double DIN Installation Dash Kit for Select 1990-Up GM Vehicles: Car Electronics

I was hoping that all we would have to do is trim some plastic to get it to fit but I am having second thoughts & worries. Do you guys think it can work and will fit??

Anyone on here install a unit similar to the Pioneer AVH-X2500BT???
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM

You could call crutchfield and ask why they dont fit. My guess would be depth. I installed an alpine w205 and it wont fit flush, have to leave it 1/4" out unless I start cutting the back of the dash, which some on here have done.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM

I would suggest finding a local stereo shop to see what they say. I installed a X950BH and the adapter was similar to that one. It used 4 screws on each side and the stock 4 mounting screws to hold the unit in the dash. I also had to buy an interface module so I would not have to reprogram the brain, still have On-Star, steering wheel controls still work and so on and an antenna adapter to connect the HHR antenna to the "old fashioned" plug on the stereo.

I also had to cut out the whole back of the molded plastic dash area where the stereo fits into as the two plugs and antenna wire would not let it go all the way inside. I also got a wireless backup camera which has a small module that goes off the connectors in the back. That back area that was cut away was not needed for any strength as far as I could tell.

The interface module was about $90, antenna adapter about $25 and an adapter cable for thumb drives and iPhones was about $95 so the overall price was not cheap but sure is neat!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Aftermarket dvd

Crutchfield says it doesnt fit because of the depth. find a good installer in your area. they should have no problem making the cuts to the panel in the rear of the cavity. I have the Pioneer AVH4400BH INSTALLED IN MY 2007 HHR LT

Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM

Ditto on the depth. A few cuts to the plastic back area will free up more than enough space for those cables.