Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Audiobahn

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
I have one: since you had to install a spacer ring to add room for the deeper basket and magnet, how will you fit the side panel back on? Are you planning on cutting a hole? Adding a new grille?
It fit just fine. It doesn't stick out any further than the factory sub:
Name:  Picture190.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  Picture195.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  25.5 KB
I didn't have to change anything. Remember the factory sub has that stupid plastic grille covering it so there is plenty of room between the sub and panel. I needed the ring so I had something to screw into without leaving a gap (I'm sure you don't need an explanation for that one ). I am going to add my own grille for purely cosmetic reasons, it just hasn't got here yet. I'm getting rid of the Pioneer one and putting on a flaming chrome Audiobahn one. The factory grille is melted on so you just have to cut it out. The grille that came with the sub is just ugly so I had to buy the nice one seperately.The one that came with the sub:
Name:  Picture196.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  53.0 KB
The one I'm putting on:
Name:  audibahngrille.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  37.7 KB
Is your box hooked up yet or are you waiting to do your full set up?

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-30-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the details. I think those flamed Audiobahn grilles look tight! A definite improvement over the B-O-R-I-N-G stock grille.

I installed my amp and wired it on Friday. Since I still don't have my head unit installed (Scosche kits are in the mail), I hooked up a portable CD player to my amp and checked out the rumble. Verdict: PLENTY of bass!

BTW - running the amp remote wire and RCA's back to the battery area is super simple in the HHR. I love the way the door trim panels just "snap" out giving you full access to the wire tray. Doesn't get any easier than this.

My Pioneer 8600 has dedicated sub outs with a variable high & low pass crossover, so I should be able to dial it in just right. Playing my CD > amp > box made it apparent that dual 10's is going to be MORE than enough in the HHR. I'll give a full report after the head is installed and everything's dialed in.

Best part is that when I need the room I can just pop the box out and set it in the garage. (Oh, but NO BASS then!?! Ooops!)
Old 01-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

Tweeters done:
Name:  Picture198.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  37.4 KB
Name:  Picture200.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  66.5 KB
Name:  Picture201.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  36.9 KB
Name:  Picture197.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  28.4 KB
Now I just have to pull the sub box one more time to play with some polyfill and put my new improved spacer ring on. I'm going to wait untill my grille gets here so I can do it all at the same time.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:20 PM

Hey Just a question Captain. Do you have Side airbag's?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 PM

No way Catain - you're not getting off that easy (with a couple of pics).

Lets hear the step-by-step how to on pillar tweets.

(You know they're going to ask!)
Old 01-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Banned

No, I dont have side airbags. Pulling the A pillars out is simple. At the top of the A pillar is an oval cover, pop it off .I used my fingers but you can use a flat head if you want. Inside is a T15 Torx screw, remove it. Grab at the top and pull. About halfway down is a clip that just pops out. At the bottom there is a female slot in the dash that a male side on the A pillar slides into. Be carefull when you pull it because of the tweeter wires. Disconnect the plug. The tweeter is held in by two T10 Torx screws and uses the same black and red wires as the sub (Black is + Red is -). From there do as you want. I had to cut two large holes in the A pillars to fit in the tweeter housings. I wanted to keep the fact that they are adjustable so I used the Audiobahn surface mounts. After I cut a large enough hole and had the housing in place I went out and test fitted them so I could properly align the Audiobahn logos. I notched the plastic so the tweeters were flush then wired them up and reinstalled them. Not hard what so ever. The hardest part just like the grille was chopping up the factory parts. It is so much easier chopping up someone elses ride.

Last edited by captain howdy; 02-16-2006 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:30 PM

See that concern's me. Becasue I myself did get the side air-bags I would hate to pull off that pannel and have a problem.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

I don't think you'll have a problem. But then again I'm not a pro, I'm just a guy with a little bit of knowledge and experience.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Earlier my discusion with snksknr94 made me think that I should better describe myself and maybe I shouldn't have just said wire in the tweeter. You are also going to have to wire in a capacitor unless you want bass coming through your tweeter if you go the aftermarket route. The Chevy factory tweeter has one built in as you can kind of see from the pic. I put in an inline one instead. Unless of course your puting in a crossover or matched component set.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Banned

I was kind of wrong. I am kind of having clearance issues with the sub. Not that it doesn't fit but it is vibrating the hell out of the factory Pioneer grille. That will go away when I put the Audiobahn grille on. I just have to deal with it for the rest of the week. Or just cut it out now and leave the sub exposed for a week.