Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Back Up Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 AM

Cool Back Up Cameras

I'm looking for a place to mount a back up camera monitor in my HHR. I don't see many places to put one. The HHR seems to have used almost all available space on, in, and around the dash and windshield. I'm thinking about the 31/2" display size. Has anyone done this or seen any? In hind sight I should have thought of that before I bought my HHR and looked for one with a factory unit. Duh!

J.J.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM
geg

Glove box on the front panel. This is a small box and it often breaks down.
I have an idea:
Dismantle the box and throw it. In the vacated space to place the monitor. Opportunity to build the monitor so that it pops up and down. If necessary, the monitor up and start. If your monitor is not in use - put it to the level of the front panel (does not interfere with look ahead).
The lid of the glove box can be used for decorated back side of the monitor.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:11 PM

I am currently looking at rear view mirrors with back-up cam and GPS monitor.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Try the top windshield drive side corner.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 PM

How do they do it stock

Can someone tell me how the stock backup camera works? I really don't have a good feel about where the back of my HHR is, and I wonder about retrofitting the rear camera in a way that approximates how the come from the factory.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by tracksentinel
I am currently looking at rear view mirrors with back-up cam and GPS monitor.
I've looked at a few of these on line. They don't tell you if the replacement mirrors function with on star or auto dimming features. Do you knbow if they do?
Old 04-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Not sure if there's a retro fit for the HHR, but my motorhome has an LCD flat screen monitor on the inside surface of the sun visor. Just flip it down for backing up, but it also helps when changing lanes en lieu of a useless inside rr mirror (inside rr mirrors are useless in motorhomes). This unit looks recessed, but perhaps a surface mount is available for existing visors?

It automatically powers on upon reverse shift, but also has an override switch if you want to turn it on regardless of the shift position.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Zagohhr
Try the top windshield drive side corner.
That's kinda where I've been thinking of going using the suction cup mount they come with. Have you mounted one there?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by IndianaJ.J.
I've looked at a few of these on line. They don't tell you if the replacement mirrors function with on star or auto dimming features. Do you knbow if they do?
I do not know but would bet that they don't. I do not have onstar so the issue is moot for me. I do have auto dimming but could live without it for a gps in the mirror.
To me the thing would be finding some place to mount dome lights that would not be on a different mirror.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by IndianaJ.J.
That's kinda where I've been thinking of going using the suction cup mount they come with. Have you mounted one there?
Yes. My wife´s car has one there. I ran the power cable along the rubber that protects the door frame to the power outlet.

Quick Reply: Back Up Cameras