Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Blank radio display

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Their page Worked for me - their number according to their page is - (800) 886-0022
Old 09-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Today, I installed a donor radio from truckingeek.

good news, I now have chimes and turn signals clicking.
bad news it’s locked and can’t be unlocked due to the difference in the RPO code US8 and UQ3.
perhaps this is why a radio can’t be unlocked from one HHR to another.
It will fill the dashboard until the OEM radii can be repaired
Old 09-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Id be interested in knowing what part failed and needed replaced. I would think its something simple like a protection diode.
I purchased a used radio on ebay and im going to experiment with installing a blank 24C128N chip to get around the vin programming bs. If it doesn't Ill use it as a core on a remanufactured unit.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Administrator

I just did 2 hours of research , both HHR’s have RPO code US8 for the AM/FM CD radio .
so, never mind the phone call , I’m driving over to my dealership and hopefully my tech friend can figure this out.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:38 PM

The way the chip works: the BCM requests a VIN, if it gets no reply it loads it's VIN.

I am surprised that the RPO makes a difference, as far as I can tell the pinout is the same, the GMLAN may not work if the amp is missing may need software update.

UQ3 (w/amp) and UW5 (no amp) is the speakers/amp, the radio is US8 (w/aux), UUI (w/USB), U1C (no options) as far as I can see the headunit is the same whether there is an amp or not. I'm not an expert, just going by RPO codes and wiring diagrams.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Precisely what I’m thinking, the radio is the radio, just needs the correct vin
Old 09-06-2019, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The way the chip works: the BCM requests a VIN, if it gets no reply it loads it's VIN.

I am surprised that the RPO makes a difference, as far as I can tell the pinout is the same, the GMLAN may not work if the amp is missing may need software update.

UQ3 (w/amp) and UW5 (no amp) is the speakers/amp, the radio is US8 (w/aux), UUI (w/USB), U1C (no options) as far as I can see the headunit is the same whether there is an amp or not. I'm not an expert, just going by RPO codes and wiring diagrams.
You mentioned in another thread that you had seen previous posts suggesting the bcm needs to read the radios serial number and because of that the radio needs to be from the same year or older model so an 08 radio will work in a 10 but not the other way around because the older bcm doesn't have the newer serial numbers. Has that been disproved and all the bcm needs is the vin?
Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM

On my part it is all supposition. I think that instance was trying to figure out why the tech couldn't get the job done. Now, some years later, It seems that the problem is uneducated techs.

At that time I was under the impression that the BCM is what needs the programming and that might include software updating. Now I understand that all that is required is a blank security chip in the radio.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
On my part it is all supposition. I think that instance was trying to figure out why the tech couldn't get the job done. Now, some years later, It seems that the problem is uneducated techs.

At that time I was under the impression that the BCM is what needs the programming and that might include software updating. Now I understand that all that is required is a blank security chip in the radio.
Thats where I stand also, just wanted to make sure I didnt know something you did. Makes shopping for a used oem radio easier.
Im in an audio loop myself waiting for blank chips from china, still.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Well, my tech , informs me , my 2007 can accept the 2009 radio , it’s s matter of telling that new radio the VIN of the 2007 is supposed to be there .
she says it’s the VIN , not the radio serial number , model number or part number. The radio security chip only reads the VIN automatically when brand new and first time energized and the BCM and the radio communicate.
She asked my to be patient and bring the LS in on Monday afternoon. The shop was way to busy today.

Quick Reply: Blank radio display