Buying a premade box is cheaper and easier
3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Box building?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Box building?

I am building a new box for my HHR. I've decided that one down firing Sony XS-L120P5W isn't enough so I'm adding a second. Once again my box is going to be down firing but house two 12"s instead of one. I've noticed a few times people have had questions about box building so I'm wondering should I write a how to on the basics of building a box out of MDF covering my build? If there is no interest I'm not going to waste my time because things will go a lot quicker without stopping for pics and so forth. But if enough people want me to do so I will. After all it's the least I can do for being a dick and deleting the door speakers how to. I've already laid out my plans and marked the MDF but haven't taken my first cut because it's kind of late and I don't want to disturb the neighbors or wake the kids. So who's interested?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Founding Member

I may need your pic's someday..... yes, take pic's!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SindyDix
I may need your pic's someday..... yes, take pic's!
Anything for you Sindy. I'll at least get pics no doubt.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:10 PM
jx3

Gotta chose "Don't Care", I've kinda "out grown" the boom phase. Plus I got the HHR for it's roominess. It would just be a thread I would never open.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

or you can go to WWW.Fiberglassforums.com, www.caraudio.com to learn how to build a box as well
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

That's why I included the option. I figured a lot of people wouldn't care. Same with the premade selection. Some people are just as happy buying boxes because it's cheaper and easier.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 PM

I like the back end as it is, I store a lot of stuff in there.
I like as is for now. Maybe when I start to lose my hearing, I might want a bigger box!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM

I have two 12's in a box and would like to know how to make a new one. Yes buying would be easier but I would like to make my own. Pictures would be a plus CH.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:49 PM

I would like to know in case I make a new one, but think the premade as the easiest way to go so I vote for I dont care. Cant wait to see the outcome.
Question for you, why fire down? As in why do you like it better?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
Question for you, why fire down? As in why do you like it better?
I guess personal preference. I like the way sealed down firing boxes sound. They also seems to give better resonance inside the cabin. Plus the subwoofers are protected better. I can still put things in my hatch without worrying about damaging the subs and no need for grilles. I also think they look cool.

Or maybe I'm weird and like to be different. It's impossible to find a good premade down firing box without it being vehicle specific. You can find a ton of them for under the seats of pickups and so forth but none that will fit my application. I know I could have bought a premade box for less that I spent buying the materials for my new box but I have my mind set on a down firing box and building it is kind of relaxing in a way. I can get a away from the wife in the garage working on something I like as opposed to working on the house or pool like I have been doing lately. There are a few other projects for my HHR that I've been meaning to get around to for a while that I intend on getting done before the summer ends.

Quick Reply: Box building?