Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Dual 12" Kicker CVR vs. 12" Kicker L7

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Exclamation Dual 12" Kicker CVR vs. 12" Kicker L7

Ok so right now I have a dual 12" CVR running off a zx1000.1 amp right now. I love how loud it can get, especially when shows off pull next to me thinking lil black betty has no boom. . I'm really missing the cargo utility room she has to offer though and back when I just had one 12" cvr I had more space.

I called the shop and they said go 10 or 12" L7 to save space.

I was looking for some feedback on this... will I still have the same "boom" with just one L7? What are the pros and cons? Or would I just be best keeping what I have? I don't really want to lose any thing except the space the dual box takes up.

Not sure if this should be taken into consideration but I have Excelon dnx8120 for a head unit...
Old 12-27-2008, 08:52 PM

12" L7 in a ported box could give you what you need. The 10 may not cut it.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:46 AM

I currently have one 12" L7 in a ported box, have a 750.1 Kicker pushing it that is putting down 943....Its loud, but honestly I dont like the ported box, after the new year I am going to be getting a sealed.......Now dont expecting 1 12" L7 to out perform 2 12" comp vr's......its not gonna happen. Comp VR's are a hell of a speaker and a heck of a bargain. I also have one 12" CVR in my camaro. Its currently in a sealed box and I say it sounds better now than the L7 does in the ported box.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:12 AM

You're simply not going to move as much air.
However, the solo-barics are pretty baddass...make sure you wire the single 12" L7 correctly to show a 2 ohm load to the amp to get a full 1000 watts, and you'll AT LEAST be a bit more tighter....maybe a little more punch...

that's my opinion.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 AM

Well I don't consider my stereo to be competition grade. I just like being able to bump. I think I'm going to go with the 12". I guess my next question would be should I get sealed box or ported one 2 get optimal sound given the dynamics of hhr interior and the amp I'm running. I always thought ported are better for open interiors like ours but a sealed gives a tighter bass. I know when I 1st got my dual box put in I wasn't to impressed over just having one. Could of been the amp at the time but I read in another forum I could take the polyfil out and make it louder. Did this and was really impressed with the difference.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:45 AM

I have had both ported and sealed....I only liked ported boxes when they are in an enclosed area, like the trunk. Since the HHR is open I dont like the more hollow sounding bass that that ported box produces. My little brother has 1 12" CVR in a sealed box and it hits deepr than my 1 L7 .... but that will all change once I go sealed. Plus too with a sealed box you have to get it built to spec for what speaker your running. Sealed boxes you have some lee-way in the size...
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
I have had both ported and sealed....I only liked ported boxes when they are in an enclosed area, like the trunk. Since the HHR is open I dont like the more hollow sounding bass that that ported box produces. My little brother has 1 12" CVR in a sealed box and it hits deepr than my 1 L7 .... but that will all change once I go sealed. Plus too with a sealed box you have to get it built to spec for what speaker your running. Sealed boxes you have some lee-way in the size...
So if the kicker dealer has an L7 in a prefab kicker sealed box (like they do ported) will that work for me or will I need to have them custom build a box to specs? Also will the zx1000 be enough to push the L7 in a sealed?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 08BlkSS
I have had both ported and sealed....I only liked ported boxes when they are in an enclosed area, like the trunk. Since the HHR is open I dont like the more hollow sounding bass that that ported box produces. My little brother has 1 12" CVR in a sealed box and it hits deepr than my 1 L7 ....
Sealed boxes go lower than a ported box unless of course the ported box is tuned super low..

If you go with the 1 12" jus build a box to specs but since there 750rms and your gunna be over powering it make the box a lil smaller to increase the power handling of the sub
Old 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM

a properly built ported box wont sound hollow at all.
a properly built ported box has the potential to have an even lower response than a sealed box with much greater output.

a sealed box can have a flatter response and is easier to build.

I suggest ported because the ported boxes I build have always sounded phenomenal and the HHR loves ported boxes.
So if you go ported, have a box designed and built by a professional.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ed RazorLite
a properly built ported box wont sound hollow at all.
a properly built ported box has the potential to have an even lower response than a sealed box with much greater output.

a sealed box can have a flatter response and is easier to build.

I suggest ported because the ported boxes I build have always sounded phenomenal and the HHR loves ported boxes.
So if you go ported, have a box designed and built by a professional.
Hey so the audio shop has the kicker l7 that comes in a ported pre fab box from kicker. Since this actually comes from kicker would I be good with that or should I just by a stand alone sub and have them build one for me? Here is a couple of pics of what I have now and what I want to go to... Just hoping the L7 will give me the same boom so I can have more space back there.

Quick Reply: Dual 12" Kicker CVR vs. 12" Kicker L7