Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

DVD Install Options

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM

DVD Install Options

New member here. I have an '09 2LT in Victory Red.

I'm trying to look at options for a rear DVD system. My thoughts are either headrest or flipdown.

Question 1: I am wondering what there is above the headliner in between the front and rear seats. I can push on it with my hand and there doesn't seem to be a crossover brace between the two B pillars, i.e. there is a lot of vertical movement possible in the headliner. Does anyone know if there is anything rigid to attach a flipdown to in this area?

Question 2: If I go with a headrest, I am looking at monitors with a separate DVD player and video switch. Problem is where to install the DVD unit, as the center console does not have room. I don't want to place it under the front seats, because it will get kicked, and in the winter there's snowy boots. My question here is what is under the rear seats? The carpet comes up to meet the seats. Is that area hollow? Could I mount a DVD unit there?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM

Yes, There is a metal support bar up there. If you have an HHR with the sunroof and you pull down right behind it you will see the bar going across. I have a flip down in my HHR.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Myself, as well as several others, have headrest monitors. Personally, I am running a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD headunit (photos in gallery..page 2).
Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Really I'm just looking for a rear-seat entertainment system, and keep it separate. I plan to keep the factory audio system, and have the DVD play in through an FM modulator for the rare times I want to listen to what the kids are watching.

What about the area under the rear seats? Is there something under the seats or can I mount a DVD player unit there (behind the knees kind of thing) ?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2010, 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=BrianB;496765]Really I'm just looking for a rear-seat entertainment system, and keep it separate. I plan to keep the factory audio system, and have the DVD play in through an FM modulator for the rare times I want to listen to what the kids are watching.

What about the area under the rear seats? Is there something under the seats or can I mount a DVD player unit there (behind the knees kind of thing) ?

Why not just go with a flip down that has a built in dvd player. That is what I put in, because you can get a bigger screen for your kids. The one I have also swivels so my daughter can turn the monitor which ever way she wants to see it better. I also have a nav/dvd player for the radio which I can then watch movies on that too, so I can watch two separte movies at once or stream each other back and forth.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Rest In Peace

I have a setup like Putter has.

I opted for the 9" headrest monitors with the wireless headsets and the game controllers that have 29 games built in.

You can get headrest monitirs that have the DVD player built right in them.

Putter and I bought from a seller on Ebay. TVIEW is the Brand we bought.

Excellent Picture, Excellent Price. 2 year Warranty.

Seller was very Good to deal with and shipped Fast.

99.7% Positive Feedback.

Seller is - audiosavings

I had thought about an overhead unit but decided against it as it would block out my rear view. I can see out my rear window perfectly with the headrest units in place.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by BrianB
Really I'm just looking for a rear-seat entertainment system, and keep it separate. I plan to keep the factory audio system, and have the DVD play in through an FM modulator for the rare times I want to listen to what the kids are watching.
With the AVH-P4200DVD, you CAN let the kids watch movies in the rear and listen to the radio in the front. Naturally it requires headphones, but you'd need those with any setup.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Rest In Peace

Yeah the wireless headsets are a MUST have, so you don't have to listen to the same kid vid for the 100th time.

I Love this setup, and my kids do too. I have a Panel with the rear seat added, so it was a Must have option for anyone sitting in the back seat.

I am planning on adding the same setup in the 7" model for my rear seats headrests that matches my 9"'s.

7" Pioneer 4200 DVD HU up front, 9" TVIEW's for the rear seat and 7" TVIEW's for the people driving behind me. LOL

7's in back really for, tailgating and for "Show" at local car shows.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by tmerkle111
Why not just go with a flip down that has a built in dvd player. That is what I put in, because you can get a bigger screen for your kids. The one I have also swivels so my daughter can turn the monitor which ever way she wants to see it better. I also have a nav/dvd player for the radio which I can then watch movies on that too, so I can watch two separte movies at once or stream each other back and forth.
A flipdown would block part of the rear-view, which is already too small for my liking as it is. If I go with headrest monitors, the benefit is that each kid can watch a different video, since there is an age difference and they argue over what to watch.

I'm not looking to spend more than $500 on the whole thing, because after all its still just a car. So no custom in-dash head unit. Just the players, headphones, and an FM modulator. I'm not trying to disparage those who like to trick out their rides, I'm just a little more practical in what I want.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by BrianB
A flipdown would block part of the rear-view, which is already too small for my liking as it is. If I go with headrest monitors, the benefit is that each kid can watch a different video, since there is an age difference and they argue over what to watch.

I'm not looking to spend more than $500 on the whole thing, because after all its still just a car. So no custom in-dash head unit. Just the players, headphones, and an FM modulator. I'm not trying to disparage those who like to trick out their rides, I'm just a little more practical in what I want.
Then you definitely want to look at the ebay seller I mentioned.

His prices are VERY Good, he has alot of choices to fit your needs.

And he is located in NY, has a website.

His prices Included FREE shipping.

The pair of 7" Putter bought were Under $150.00 Shipped.

The pair of 7" With the 2 game controllers (29 games), 2 remotes, and 2 wireless headsets are $172.95 - Free Shipping.

The pair of 9" with the 2 game controllers (29 games), 2 remotes, and 2 wireless headsets that I bought were only $210.00 again with Free shipping.

He has 9" headrest monitors with DVD players built in and 2 wireless headsets for $292.95 with Free shipping.

He has 7" headrest monitors w/DVD/USB+IPOD PLAYER $228.95 with Free shipping. (This one only comes with 1 DVD player built in)

Others each have DVD players (2), with 52 offerings for 9" and 94 for 7" setups I'm sure you can find what your looking for in your price range.

Search what he has and Read the whole ad Before buying to make Sure it is what you want.

~I have Nothing to do with this seller, I am just a Very Pleased and Happy customer.~

Quick Reply: DVD Install Options