Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Ebay In Dash 7" 2 DIN NAV systems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Changed my mind about an in-dash system

I changed my mind about an in-dash system and went with a computer in the car. I was looking at a Pioneer DVD unit but then you need a $100+ cable interface and also another $50 steering wheel conversion cable. It would have easily cost me $750 (or more) and I would still need something to download my camera SD cards into while on vacation. I found a netbook for under $200 and I had $60 worth of gift cards lying around. My decision was based on the fact that I really wanted and needed something to download/clear my camera pic/vid SD cards into while my daugher and I are on vacation. I use the netbook for GPS mapping and it also has WiFi. When I get to the motel, it's only one cable to unplug to take it inside or go to Starbucks. I have used freeware GPS software for years and I use maps that I make from the US Census bureau shapefiles (free and really easy to do). I can use the GPS software while using turn-by-turn from OnStar at the same time or just watch my location on the maps (which I do most of the time). I can generate routes in MapQuest or GoogleMaps and upload them to the GPS for on-screen navigation. Yes, you can buy software for $50 for turn-by-turn voice directions but where's the fun in that I also have an external DVD-RW drive that burns DVDs or CDs and with the VGA output my lil one can watch DVD's on a headrest monitor in the back while I do GPS and play music in the front. The netbook also has 3 USB slots so you can attach most anything. Altogether I have less than $300 in my system and a lot more flexibility while maintaining the stock features for future resale.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Do you have a mount or anything for the netbook? Just curious if you did anything to integrate it into the car at all, or if it just sits on the seat. I'm thinking of doing something similar...but i think i'd have to do some pretty major customization to get a network mounted somewhere without blocking windshield.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM

I'll have to get some pictures. I didn't think it was practical as a navigation aid sitting in the passenger seat. I made a 1/4" billet plate for a mount. It uses the 2 screw holes that fasten down the center dash box. Everything stock remains stock which was a priority for me. I only use it in the HHR on long weekends or vacations in unfamiliar areas - not just for trivial digital map viewing. The base of the netbook is above the 2 center consol vent outlets. When the netbook is open, it takes up about as much space as leaving that center dash lid open. There really isn't any obstruction of view. All the cables stay hidden in the dash box when I don't have the netbook in the HHR or when going into a hotel. It's worked well for me so far and is way more flexible than any in-dash unit.