Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

First Post - upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Red face First Post - upgrade question

Howdy all:

This is my first post on this forum. Thanks for all the useful information. I know I’m supposed to post with a pic but I don’t have one yet. I bought a 2007 1LT about 2 weeks ago. So far, I’ve installed the Airaid and poured in some BG44K. Next up are splash guards. Here are the mods I have planned…

1. Window Tint
2. fog lamps
3. in channel rain deflectors
4. Cat-back exhaust
5. JET chip
6. Mud Flaps (Painted)
7. Front/Rear Speaker
8. Sub woofer (JL Audio 8W3v3 in stock location)
9. Wood interior
10. Drop kit
11. Rear sway bar
12. Rear Bumper Fascia Protector $43.03

So my question lies in the audio department. I’m thinking of upgrading stock speakers with

JL Audio Cleansweep to clean up the signal leaving the stock head unit
JL Audio E6450 6-channel amp
JL Audio VR600-CXi coaxil speakers in the rear
JL Audio VR600-CSi Component speakers in the front

I’m looking at that amp to provide room for a sub but I’m wondering if I need a sub. I listen mainly to country but I enjoy some of everything. I’m 36 years old so I don’t need to boom down the street. Would the items listed above sound good enough in the HHR?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:22 PM

check some other threads in order to go about enclosing the 8'' the right way. i have never been in the back panel of mine so im not sure exactly what it entails. jl is great gear so you will be fine there, and bass from an 8'' is great for filler, and welcome btw...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 PM

First, welcome to the forum, and congradulations on your HHR.

In my opinion, you need a sub. It really makes a difference for any type of music. I just installed a new radio (top of the line Pioneer) and for a few days didnt have my amp for the sub working. As good as the radio is, it didnt sound right until I got the bass working.

Check my other posts-but basically I enlarged the factory sub opening to fit a 10 inch in. Great bass, and looks almost stock. Plus, no loss of storage space
Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 PM

WELCOME!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 PM

I switched out my oem sub with an audiobahn and was happy with it. I wanted more thump though. It all depends on what you listen to. My wife's still has the oem set-up and she really likes it. The 8" really fills the sound well; won't thump but it wasn't designed to.

Also, unless you already have the oem sub, there is no box or wiring for it. Your on your own to run the wiring and creating a box in the factory location.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:04 PM

I believe you still have the cut-out for the speaker in the panal. The wiring is no big deal, since you need to run a new wire from the sub speaker to where ever you place the amp. A small amp fits nicely behind the spare tire next to the battery. As for the stock box-since it is made of plastic and rather small, it is not really needed. If you want to avoid the work I did making a 10 inch fit, you could always put one of the small amplified boxes in that location and have it fire through the factory hole. Crutchfield has some small boxes that look like they would fit. Most of them use a 6 inch sub, and I have never heard them myself, but the write up makes them sound great. And all you would need to do is run a wire to the radio, the battery, and the ground.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 AM

to the forum
Old 11-20-2007, 07:27 AM

Old 11-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
First, welcome to the forum, and congradulations on your HHR.

In my opinion, you need a sub. It really makes a difference for any type of music. I just installed a new radio (top of the line Pioneer) and for a few days didnt have my amp for the sub working. As good as the radio is, it didnt sound right until I got the bass working.

Check my other posts-but basically I enlarged the factory sub opening to fit a 10 inch in. Great bass, and looks almost stock. Plus, no loss of storage space
I'm hoping that with all the items I plan to throw in there, I don't need a sub. I guess I'll have to take a listen and determine at that time. Car Toys out here in Colorado quoted my a fiberglass box in the stock location for $500. I have 2 Greyhounds so I need my space in the car and can't afford to lose space to a sub.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:31 AM

Thank you!

Quick Reply: First Post - upgrade question