Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Front Mid & Tweet replacement question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Question Front Mid & Tweet replacement question?

For those of you who have already done this:
Where did you put your new crossover? Reason I ask is because I was wanting to use as much of the factory wiring as possible without running any new ones. Where did they (GM) split off the tweeter? Did you guys put the crossover in the door and then run a new wire to the tweeter? I haven't even looked at the door yet, is it just a rubber loom from the body to the door or one of those "impossible to get wires through" plugs? Any help here will be appreciated before I go tearing into it and learning things the hard way
Old 02-27-2008, 10:12 AM

I mounted my crossover by the amp in the back. For the door speakers I used t-taps behind the radio and spliced in the. The doors use one of the impossible molex connectors. For the tweet I just ran a new set of wires from the crossover.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Damn molex connectors! Lol, I understand why they use them but damn damn! So with the Pioneer amplified system are all the speakers comming from the amplifier? I just assumed that the front and rear doors were powered by the deck and the sub was amplified? You know what they say about when you assume .......... I hate splicing and cutting so I'm trying to find a way not to do it if possible? And if I have to do it I want to find one "easy" location to do it at so it can be reversed easily if I get rid of the car later.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 AM

Oh yeah, as long as I'm here......What size are the rear door speakers?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:45 AM

all the doors are 6 1/2s. I assumed you was adding an aftermarket amp. I am not sure about the pioneer system mine had the basic mp3 player. Sorry cant be more help.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:35 PM

No not adding an amp just yet. But thanks for the info on the sizes. I also saw in another thread that the speaker connects are just plain jane spade connectors :) That's a nice bonus. I'll have to try and figure out where they split the wire between the mid and the tweet? Since they use the molex for the doors I will most likely tap into the tweeter wire if I go the amp route (I most likely will) because this would be the easiest way not to dice up the factory wiring (a pet pieve of mine). I'll see what I can figure out? I'm getting ready to order my new speakers as long as the Mrs. approves :) Hey, we all have to answer to somebody......right? lol
Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

The stock tweeters have a simple bass-blocker on the positive wire at the speaker. You can either leave it or cut it off and use a crossover network.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 PM

When i replaced mine i pulled the stock wiring down and used it to connect to my crossovers placed in the spaces behind the covers at each end of the dash, then ran new wires from the crossovers to the tweeters.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM

I know all about answering to the misses. Mine had me under lock and key for a while when it came to spending on car audio. But now I have a decent job and she cant fuss about bein broke she gets her toys and I get mine.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 50IsCool
When i replaced mine i pulled the stock wiring down and used it to connect to my crossovers placed in the spaces behind the covers at each end of the dash, then ran new wires from the crossovers to the tweeters.
Ok, but how did you get from the crossover to the midbass/midrange in the door? That's where i get lost? That's why I want to figure out where they split it off at, so I don't have to run a new wire through the door. If I put the crossover in the door I have to run a new wire to the tweeter, and if I put the crossover in the cab then I need to run a new wire to the mid. I'm trying to see if anyone else has figured out a nice way to takle this without cutting up the factory wires. I may just have to make my own crossovers so I can put one at the tweet and one at the mid. However that won't help me when I decide to finally add some amplifiers, I'll be right back at square 1 again I'm kind of an audiophile and my favorite installs are stealth, so figuring out how to integrate is key for me

Quick Reply: Front Mid & Tweet replacement question?