Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Getting ready for 12s

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:46 AM

Getting ready for 12s

I built a box today to hold two 12" Kickers powered by Rockford Fosgate....work still in progress but it's gonna be LOUD!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Wow ! Man that is big gonna rock car will bounce down the road lol . I also bought 2 Rockford Fosgate amps p4004 what amp did you buy (model) ?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM

when install complete will be powered by one P500-2. i'm not running any supplemental power to aftermarket (JL TR600) door speakers from Kenwood DPX503 (this might change later though)so still want to be able to maintain good mix of highs & lows without overpowering from subs so didn't run bridged amp one per sub....figured 125x2 will allow to blast but can turn back the bass on that music that calls for rounded sound. currently running an 8" bazooka so will just be a matter of cutting & attaching a few wires. i'm planning to mount the amp underside of current custom floor board so it will sit in that space between spare tire and trunk floor with speaker wires running up to the box for quick disconnect & box removal for trunk use. my plan is to have the bok lineX painted black. so far box has cost $54 ($36 wood, $5 screws, $5 caulk, $8 wire terminals) plus six hours of my time...still gotta buy the poly-fill. the actual box portion is 34"x18"x10" so ~3.5 cu ft. I overlooked using the cargo deck in the top slot and missed about 1 inch--could've built the height 8-9" and been able to use cargo deck and still had a good box volume. would be good concealment. Oh well...might have shattered it anyway
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM

If you are going to leave it a sealed box, it should balance ok, but I thought most kickers are designed for ported boxes.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:58 AM

what kind of kicker subs you looking to get?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 AM

the competition 4-ohm dual voice coil cvr124. the spec sheet says vented or sealed, just gives bigger box volume for the vented (to consider the size of the port.) i'm pretty sure it's technically viable either way, just depends on whether you want a tight punch (sealed) or a loose boom (vented)

but now i am wondering about the dual voice coil and using only a 2 channel amp. am intending to wire one channel to each sub, but do you wire one channel to each coil thus requiring a 4 channel? or do you wire one channel to each sub and then connect one coil to the other (on the same sub) then that makes me question the impedence ......
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by CavittyCreep

but now i am wondering about the dual voice coil and using only a 2 channel amp. am intending to wire one channel to each sub, but do you wire one channel to each coil thus requiring a 4 channel? or do you wire one channel to each sub and then connect one coil to the other (on the same sub) then that makes me question the impedence ......
if the sub is a dual 4ohm, you can wire the coils parallel and have one sub per channel with a 2ohm load. if its a dual 2ohm then wire them in series and have a 4ohm load per channel.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 AM

You'll want to wire them as follows:

Be sure to follow the diagram on the amp's terminals for a bridged connection. Also that box is really big, Kicker recommends 1 cu ft per sub.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by scout62
You'll want to wire them as follows:

Be sure to follow the diagram on the amp's terminals for a bridged connection. Also that box is really big, Kicker recommends 1 cu ft per sub.
I'm not running the amp in bridged mode--I'm running one channel (250x2 at 2 ohm) to each dual voice coil sub, so I'll wire them in parrallel. Box is about 3.5 cu ft which is 1.75 per sub and spec sheet says 1.0 to 4.6 cu ft. The box crutchfield sells is 1.3 so I think my custom is in range...still need to get it line-X
Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Plans changed....after further investigation, comparing equipment, getting some opinions and seeing demonstrations I ended up buying JL subs and an Alpine amp. I made the mistake of cutting the mounting diameter for the Kicker comp 12s which was larger than the JL 12s so it seemed I might have to do a mod to the box with an O-ring...but I used this as an excuse to buy...wait for it....13.5s!! So I will be bridging the amp and wiring to single voice coils. The Alpine MRP-M500 is 500W RMS wired parallel (2 ohm) to the two JL 3W1v2-4. So Saturday is install day (taking box to line-x today) and I'll post some final pics.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for 12s