Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Ginormous Box for HHR

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by INSANE SS
ebay has boxes for almost as much as you can build one. Figure out what sub you want and presto a box shows up at your door.
Oh no, prefab boxes. Blasphemy I say.
The day I see a well built prefab box is the day I retire from the car audio world.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:16 PM

I'm pretty sure the most expensive box that I have ever built has been with two sheets of mdf. With everything I needed it only cost me about $60. There is NO pre-fab box to equal build quality of that.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM

arent they from a car audio shop as well? I am going to build my own for an 10" l7 but not sure on how many cubic feet to build it to. A buddy says that 2.0 is just right but any help or sugestions welcomed
Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 PM

for a single 10" L7 you can do a 1 cubic foot sealed box. 2 cubes will be good for a ported box but is a bit on the large size. 1.5-2 cubes ported is good.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ed RazorLite
Oh no, prefab boxes. Blasphemy I say.
The day I see a well built prefab box is the day I retire from the car audio world.
some of the nicest prefabs we used at my old bay. of course we didnt pay this much for them, but they were nice substitution in a pinch. 3/4" mdf, their W& enclosures come swith double 1.5" face and internal bracing. brad nailed, tight silicone seams internally, and good carpet jobs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-CUSTOM-V...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by university_student
some of the nicest prefabs we used at my old bay. of course we didnt pay this much for them, but they were nice substitution in a pinch. 3/4" mdf, their W& enclosures come swith double 1.5" face and internal bracing. brad nailed, tight silicone seams internally, and good carpet jobs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-CUSTOM-V...QQcmdZViewItem
There are nice prefab boxes out there. We used to use Audio Enhancers which was decent.
It's just that no prefab box would ever be able to do what I want it to do.
Being a custom box designer/builder myself, I am always coming up with crazy ideas.
My boxes are 2.25" thick of MDF and coated in Fiberglass resin.sand mix for a reason. That reason being the 400-500lbs of pressure that builds inside the box.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Banned

i am a former dBdrag car builder...but that is not what you specified. you said decent and decent means quality construction and solid build. not solid build for a dbdrag comp.

decent and prefab gives the impression that it is for average consumers but built like a custom enclosure. what you are explaining are two different things, if you want double/triple walled, FG sealing, and other extra precautions you are no longer in the prefab field.

that is straight custom work, so before you throw out statement like you did you should watch what you say.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by university_student
i am a former dBdrag car builder...but that is not what you specified. you said decent and decent means quality construction and solid build. not solid build for a dbdrag comp.

decent and prefab gives the impression that it is for average consumers but built like a custom enclosure. what you are explaining are two different things, if you want double/triple walled, FG sealing, and other extra precautions you are no longer in the prefab field.

that is straight custom work, so before you throw out statement like you did you should watch what you say.
I did not mean just dB Drag standards.
I also mean just all around build quality, fit and finish, and SQ.

Maybe my standards are higher than yours.
"I have not seen any prefab box that meets my standards in build quality." Does that statement sound better to you.
If my standards are totally custom builds, then thats what it is.

Sure there are good ones out there, definitely not the cheapos on Ebay.